UKC

Poachers stick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 22 Apr 2022

Was my dads.  It may look like a walking stick…

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

…but the handle unscrews and out slides a three section cane trout fly fishing rod. Theoretically you’d have the rod handle and a net stashed up your jacket. On the end of the stick is a screw thread to attach the landing net. I’ve never even heard of one before. Don’t think it’s ancient old, but certainly rare and unusual. Probably made Ambleside or Grasmere which would no doubt triple its value!

Herdwickmatt 22 Apr 2022

That's a gorgeous thing. I often intend to go fly fishing but never quite get round to it...

EddInaBox 22 Apr 2022
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

It used to be exactly the same for me, then I discovered that you can buy these long strips of very sticky paper.  On a good day you might even catch a wasp!

bouldery bits 22 Apr 2022

That is a very cool object. I think an Antiques Road Show visit may be in order. 

Kevster 22 Apr 2022

i get it, but not exactly subtle for a quick get away/ pack away. does it cast? have you tried it?

I have an old cane rod of my fathers, not been brave enough to take it to a lake/ river.

we hold on, admire, but rarely use these little pieces of history

Thanks for sharing tho,

nathan79 23 Apr 2022

Very nice. Like the sort of gadget you might see James Pond carry.

(I'll get me coat)

Dax H 23 Apr 2022

That is very cool.

I used to have a Poachers shotgun. It was a little 410 that folded 180 degrees at the breach making it perfect to slip under your coat. 

In reply to Kevster:

It casts OK and I learnt to fly fish with it (in a garden). There is a slight bend in the top section, but apart from that it’s all in sound order. 

oldie 24 Apr 2022

Nothing as impressive but I have my Dad's short poacher's rod with sections in a short aluminium tube. I've never used it. He was stationed near Kinlochbervie in WW2 and he sometimes helped a local landowner poach his own salmon river with nets. Apparently stretches of river were let out to visitors supposedly for their sole use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...