UKC

Question about testing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 25 Sep 2020

Covid testing.

Does anyone have the faintest idea of what's going on?

Are we currently working on increasing capacity and if so, what are we aiming for?

Currently in Scotland there is capacity for about 15000 tests a day and about 5000 a day are actually being carried out, is it the same everywhere, I think not? 

...and, no I have no idea why we aren't doing 15000 tests a day.

It struck me today when thinking of the Scottish University clusterphuq that no student should have been admitted into a halls of residence without a test. However Scotland has 240000 students so even testing 10000 a day would take some time, although I find it difficult to believe a test strategy couldn't have been organised. My point though is that quite obviously, six months on and we lack capacity to keep ourselves safe while keeping our economy and services functioning.

HansStuttgart 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed User:

UK daily tests: 200k for 67M people

Germany daily tests: 150k  for 83M people

not too bad

Post edited at 18:47
 Toerag 25 Sep 2020
In reply to HansStuttgart:

UK daily tests not taken because the system is overwhelmed: loads

Germland :none

The number of live cases in Germany is less than half that in the UK by my calculations, so the UK should be doing about 300k tests per day to be comparable.

skog 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Where are you getting your numbers? They don't square with the ones here:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotl...

(looks like a little over 15,000 per day, average, in Scotland this week)

Is the 5000 maybe the tests done by the Scottish system at hospitals, with quite a lot more being done in Scotland as part of the UK's "lighthouse" scheme?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...