UKC

Refunds and Bank Transfers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 20 Dec 2017
A business owes me £75 for an item I returned to them two months ago. On about four occassions I have chased them. Each time they have said that the refund will be made to my bank account but that I should allow 3-5 days for it to be paid to my account. Anyone know how long bank to bank transfers take nowadays?
Personally I think they are taking the piss. They know it's not worth my while to go to a solicitor for such a small amount.
 NaCl 20 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

More often than not I've found them to be pretty much instantaneous but never more than about a day or two. I'm pretty sure it's normally straightaway or near as dammit and the "x days" is to cover arses if it takes longer.
 buzby 20 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

usually within hours rather than days, if you have proof they have agreed the refund then a letter saying you are going to the small claims court should do the trick. If not take it to the small claims court, it cheap and easy and the small amount you have to pay up front gets refunded if you win.
 Sharp 20 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

We always say 3 working days but provided both of your banks are part of the faster payment service (all the big uk banks) it should just be a few hours. Have you given them your bank details? If not then they're not going to transfer it to your bank account they will just put it back on your card and that can take a bit longer. It's worth phoning your bank for advice. Also google "resolver", that's probably your best shot. There's lots of ways to get your money back without hiring a solicitor.

This year I've spent quite a lot of time at work chasing companies that have tried to screw us over in various ways, business to business transactions aren't covered by consumer rights and we're too big to use ombudsmen but not big enough to afford to take on big companies legally which makes it harder. Most have only been solved by getting hold of the company director presonally. If it's a limited company you can find their details online. Linked In is a good place to look also. It's worth quoting the relevant section of your consumer rights when you complain, also read through their terms and conditions (they'll be on their website) and quote their refund policy to them. If they take payments online then it's legally required for them to publicise their refund policy. If they're selling through a third party (ebay etc) then they are bound by their terms and you can complain directly to them. Depending on the company they may have an industry body or an ombudsman you can complain to. I would also make your correspondence with them daily, email followed by phone call. You can also try posting a (polite) message on their facebook page asking about your refund. Don't leave it weeks between contact if possible. If you're a pain in their ass then they'll pay £75 to get rid of you, especially if you sound like you'll cause them problems. I find being polite and factual gives better results than getting angry but just keep at them and you'll get it back.
Rigid Raider 20 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

There's always the Small Claims Court. Costs may be deducted but at least you get the satisfaction of making them pay, as I did once when a roofer dropped slates on my motorbike, promised to pay for the damage then didn't.
In reply to mypyrex:

Write to them (email) and give them an unreasonably short deadline, a few hours, to respond with proof of payment or you will issue proceedings in the small claims court. Then do it if they don't comply. It's only by standing up to useless and corrupt business practices that you can hope to stop them. And don't respond to any more contact they might make to try and stall you.
OP mypyrex 20 Dec 2017
In reply to All:
Many thanks for the replies and suggestions. I am going to contact later today and tell them that, with today's banking system and rapid electronic transfers they have no excuse for saying that it will take X days. Chargeback(refund via the banking system) or small claims action will commence on Friday.
 balmybaldwin 20 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Have they got a social media presence? if so inundate them with "Where's my refund?" messages on twitter facebook etc. leave them shit reviews etc and you'll soon see your money
OP mypyrex 20 Dec 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Have they got a social media presence?
Apparently not, neither have I
I'm taking advice from my own personal barrister(formerly solicitor) who'll be with us for Christmas
 balmybaldwin 20 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

you could do the old fashioned alternative.... turn up at their premises and refuse to leave or let them serve anyone else until you have the refund
OP mypyrex 20 Dec 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> you could do the old fashioned alternative.... turn up at their premises and refuse to leave or let them serve anyone else until you have the refund

Cost me more than they owe me to get there and back!
OP mypyrex 21 Dec 2017

RESULT! Full amount (plus 1p)paid in this morning. Thanks all for your suggestions
Post edited at 17:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...