UKC

remote cctv/ webcams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 23 Jan 2018

I’m involved in an experimental archaeology project that’s being plagued by low level theft/ vandalism. The first ( and only ) question the plod ask these days is about cctv, but it’s a remote ish site and has sod all budget, so I wondered what people’s experience of shed cams/ usb cameras is. I don’t particularly want these being nicked as well, but I would like to catch whoever brought their chainsaw onto site in broad daylight and logged up our grubenhaus roof!

The Lemming 23 Jan 2018
In reply to toad:

Unless you can get an image of a person's face that is well defined rather than a few pixels in a hoodie, then the CCTV evidence would be useless.

I also recall listening to Jeremy Vine once when the show was discussing CCTV in cars to capture accidents and altercations.  The interview wound up by saying that the Police don't have to accept or use the footage.  Can't remember the full article but it did not bode well for cars with CCTV in them.

However the most cost effective method I have found for my own CCTV is with a product called Floureon. 

Just type Floureon CCTV system into ebay search and you can see loads of options.

Here is something similar to what I bought two years ago

https://tinyurl.com/y6v87ml8

I bought a single CCTV camera, recorder and cable from the company.  I then installed a spare 120Gb SSD drive I had about the house.  I've been using this simple CCTV set up for almost two years and it works a treat giving me 1080p footage.

You can even set up the system so that you can stream live to your phone.

OP toad 23 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:thanks. This site is completely off grid, so I’m not sure if that would work here

The Lemming 23 Jan 2018
In reply to toad:

Car batteries?

Martin W 23 Jan 2018
In reply to toad:

Only thing I would say is not to overlook the CCTV code of practice: https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1542/cctv-code-of-prac... (if you have sod all budget, you don't want to get hit with a regulatory fine).

Mr Trebus 23 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

What about one of those motion activated wildlife cameras?  

The Lemming 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Martin W:

> Only thing I would say is not to overlook the CCTV code of practice

We would not want to infringe on any criminals privacy or data protection rights, now would we?

OP toad 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Mr Trebus:

Thats a possibility

Removed User 23 Jan 2018
In reply to toad:

just put up a few signs saying "Smile! You're on CCTV".

prevention is better than cure and all that.

The Lemming 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed User:

That's probably the best option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...