UKC

Suggest a birthday present for a 4 year old nephew?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 26 Apr 2012
What would be a winning idea for a boy turning 4? At that age my perfect gift would have been a box of matches and a knife but times have changed.

He seems obsessed with Diney's Cars franchise and I do not want put any money into that putrid business.

Any suggestions?
 lowersharpnose 26 Apr 2012
In reply to TMM:

I know exactly what you mean about Disney. Our kids got knives when they were seven and could strike matches and light candles before that.

How about a big bubble blowing/making kit?
 Little Brew 26 Apr 2012
In reply to TMM: i had the same dilemma but my Nephew is 5! last year we managed to find in B&N bargains a 'tool box' with lots of art and craft stuff all based around Thomas the Tank Engine (He LOVES Thomas!!)

Do his Mommy and Daddy have an amazon wish list for him? both my sister in laws do for there kids, helps no end!! i nearly gave up with my 1 year old niece last year till she had a list set up for her then Bingo!!! a toy i liked from the list and knew would be a hit was bought!

if they don't, can i suggest you have a hidden list of ideas for next year? i even do this with the Husband!
OP TMM 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Little Brew:

Thanks for the ideas.

All sorted.
I got a wooden model aeroplane that he needs to assemble (wings & wheels) and the decorate with some paint and stickers. I also got a neat wooden alphabet jigsaw puzzle that requires him to figure out his ABC in a way that creates digger, and I know he loves a digger.
 Little Brew 26 Apr 2012
In reply to TMM: Sounds ace! we got him a Kite at christmas (lives on the beach) and he flies it most weeks! art/craft stuf is great at that age, especially if M&D can join/leave him to it. did find the angry birds print and assemble paper toys the other day - E-mailed and apparently Aunty Jess is the best now!
 Enty 26 Apr 2012
In reply to TMM:

What's wrong with Disney?

E
OP TMM 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Enty:

Not a fan of its omnipresence in children's lives and their approach of hooking people with film/tv media and then the vast franchising operation that follows relying on pester power to relieve parents of their cash. All seems deeply cynical to be making money from leveraing kids. Additionally I've never found Mickey Mouse very amusing.
 Siward 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Enty: Cusinaire Rods (aka counting sticks)?

http://www.woodentotsmk.co.uk/Library/0330%20cuisinaire%20rods.htm

Good for making structures/towers out of. At 4 he's unlikely to eat them.
A good use, use and use again toy and edjookayshunal too
Sarah G 26 Apr 2012
In reply to TMM:
Lego.

Sx
Daithi O Murchu 26 Apr 2012
In reply to TMM:

Airfix - king tiger 1/72 scale

Spitfire or huricane or ME109 are the clasics so much better than disney
 Ramblin dave 26 Apr 2012
In reply to TMM:
The science museum shop is generally good for presents for kids - lots of fun stuff. The only trouble is that you tend to end up wanting to get a load of stuff for yourself as well...
 doz generale 26 Apr 2012
In reply to TMM:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Not a fan of its omnipresence in children's lives and their approach of hooking people with film/tv media and then the vast franchising operation that follows relying on pester power to relieve parents of their cash. All seems deeply cynical to be making money from leveraing kids. Additionally I've never found Mickey Mouse very amusing.

It's almost impossible to avoid disney as they have deals with a
lot of manufacturers including nappy manufacturers. If you buy one of the good brands of nappy they all have disney charachters on them. If you buy one of the rubbish brands you end up covered in poo (not the bear).

It's quite hard finding kids clothes that don't have some kind of branding and alot of that is disney.
 Bulls Crack 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:
> (In reply to TMM)
>
> Airfix - king tiger 1/72 scale
>
> Spitfire or huricane or ME109 are the clasics so much better than disney

Ideal for a 4 years old!
 gd303uk 26 Apr 2012
In reply to TMM: A Bowie knife,
 climber david 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Sarah G: agree there. had lego since I was about 4 and I still play with it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...