UKC

The best fruit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed Navigante 06 Aug 2012
I just bought a carton of the most fantastic smelling peaches and have been gorging on them for the last few hours!

I would keep them, but they don't last that long, and this makes them less good in the fruit rankings. If they could last and not bruise, like apples, they would be my far and away number 1.

Currently I reckon apples are still the best of the best.

Anyone else?
 JIMBO 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Ed Navigante: mango is the best and most widely eaten across the globe...
 Yanis Nayu 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Ed Navigante: Rambutan or mangosteen - they're pretty much the same. I went to Russia recently and was really surprised by how nice the fruit is there - much better than the shite you buy in supermarkets here.
In reply to Ed Navigante:
It has to be grapes - especially from NE Italy or Argentina and presented as bottles of red stuff!!!
 Mike-W-99 06 Aug 2012
Easy, whatever is in season and grown locally.
 stonemaster 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to ERH) Rambutan or mangosteen - they're pretty much the same.

Eh?? One begs to differ....:. Texture, flavour and aroma are sooo different.

stonemaster 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Ed Navigante: Has to the navel(?) oranges in Mallorca in March; to be found in card board boxes on the floor at the greengrocers under the usual standardised colour and size ones. The proper ones are of all different sizes and shapes and colours, and tree ripened. Cost was a pittance. They beat the ones from the trees in the Murray River orchards by quite a ways.
fijibaby 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Ed Navigante: Alfonso mangos are about the tastiest fruit you can buy, and the only one I really go mad for. The apple has to win the prize though. So many varieties, they keep really well, and without apples there would be no cider!
 Dr.S at work 06 Aug 2012
the noble white currant is of course the finest fruit....just pipping the gooseberry
Clauso 06 Aug 2012

Alan Carr.
 Phil1919 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99: Agreed.
 stonemaster 06 Aug 2012
In reply to fijibaby: Alfonso!....<drool>
andic 06 Aug 2012

oranges big juicy oranges, can throw them in your sack they dont bruise, doesn't matter if you drop them they have a protective cover , ah
 Kimono 06 Aug 2012
i loooove peaches!

if you have so many, try juicing them...you dont get much juice from then but it is real nectar and nice in a mix with orange
 Flinticus 07 Aug 2012
the most delicious fruit, though hard to time & sloppy, is a lovely ripe pear.
 Clarence 07 Aug 2012

Bananas win hands down...
 Yanis Nayu 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Clarence: Good one )
 Morgan Woods 07 Aug 2012

durian is apparently the king of fruit.

albeit an acquired tasting one.
 StuMsg 07 Aug 2012
Has to be apples;

- available all the time in as many varieties as you could want
- cheep
- strong, so wont make a mess of the inside of your rucksack like bananas or peaches.
- only need rubbed to be declared as clean enough to eat.
- can eat the whole thing, no left over stone or skins.
- last for ages
 Flinticus 07 Aug 2012
In reply to StuMsg:
-skin gets caught in teeth

For that reason alone I never take them with me
 PondLife 07 Aug 2012
In reply to fijibaby: You need an Alfonso mango to suck on after a glass of your cider
 graeme jackson 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
> (In reply to ERH)
> Easy, whatever is in season and grown locally.
hang on though. i live in Scotland but i really like oranges. Do i have to give them up forever?

imogen.fish 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Ed Navigante: Although size and dificulty to get in are issues, these two points only add to the brilliance of a watermelon! Delicious, huge, and always bang on! No bruising and plenty to go at!
paulcarey 07 Aug 2012
In reply to simonfish2000:

I am going to go with a peach, warmed by the sun and the juice dribbling down your chin.. yum.

Or may be a charentais melon
or a pawpaw
or pineapple
or strawberries
or gooseberries

arrgh I can't decide!
 iksander 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Ed Navigante: They score low for practicality, but the first time I had wild strawberries is my fondest fruit memory
 stonemaster 07 Aug 2012
In reply to iksander: nearly as good as bilberries!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...