UKC

The Biggest Ideas In The Universe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 06 May 2020

The brilliant Sean Carroll has used the lockdown to create this series of brilliant informal lectures explaining physics, so far to undergrad level, but he's going to go further. It's the real deal with an electronic blackboard and greek letters and everything, but very light on the maths while pulling no punches on the conceptual content.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrxfgDEc2NxZJcWcrxH3jyjUUrJlnoyzX

The way he teaches it is absolutely brilliant, really honing in on the "big ideas", and coming at them from odd angles -this isn't how physics is traditionally taught, it's a million times better than what I got at university 20 years ago.

I'm not sure it'd suit someone without any science background, but if you fancy learning some mind-bending stuff about the nature of reality in a laid-back style where you don't have to do any algebra yourself, I highly recommend it. And it may make you feel wholesome and virtuous if otherwise you'd be watching stuff on Dave you've seen twice before.

Would be brilliant for anyone at about A-level wondering whether to study physics at degree level. Enjoy (or avoid like the virus, as any normal person would)!

krikoman 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Nice one, cheers.

Robert Durran 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Link doesn't work?

Mr Lopez 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

You link doesn't work, i think this is what was meant to be linked? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrxfgDEc2NxZJcWcrxH3jyjUUrJlnoyzX

Audio is out of sync which grates me to the point i can't watch videos like that... Might try with the sound off and subtitles

Well damn. UKC changes the youtube link. Where you put "/playlist?list=" UKC changes it to "watch?=" which directs to video page when it's a playlist. The original link still comes up in the edit box weirdly enough

Post edited at 00:24
OP Jon Stewart 07 May 2020
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> You link doesn't work, i think this is what was meant to be linked? 

Let's try this. UKC is weird, I have to do this if I want to do a link to a youtube timestamp as well:

https://tinyurl.com/y84765jf

> Audio is out of sync which grates me to the point i can't watch videos like that... Might try with the sound off and subtitles

Was that just on the intro lecture, or did you have a look on the others? Didn't bother me at all.

Tom Last 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks.

Though I doubt I’ll watch the YouTube stuff, this had turned me on to his podcast, which is already passing some otherwise boring hours at work

OP Jon Stewart 07 May 2020
In reply to Tom Last:

Dunno if it'd interest you, but the mindscape podcast on morality and politics is excellent. He has a thing or two to say about the "intellectual dark web" which I heartily agreed with. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...