UKC

Trainline question...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glyno 01 Feb 2024

If, say, I book a journey in advance on Trainline that involves 3 legs (2 connections) and I miss either the 2nd or the 3rd leg due to a previous delay, does the ticket then become invalid for the next train after the one I've missed?

I ask mainly because I might have made a saving by booking the earlier train, the later one costing more.

Hope that makes sense, cheers.

Phil1919 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Glyno:

I think you will be ok, but anytime its happened to me they made me feel like they were doing me a favour.

OP Glyno 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Phil1919:

Thanks

Andy Johnson 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Glyno:

I think it depends. If your tickets are off-peak and the delay pushes you into peak time then you may have a problem. My experience is that staff on the trains are fairly relaxed but the RPOs on the platforms at major stations will write you up for prosecution at the slightest opportunity, and will refuse to check whether a delay has occurred.

Best to get evidence of any delay - phone pic of departure board, etc.

UK Train Forum [1] is a good(?) place for ticket advice, but some of the people on that site make UKCers seem normal.....

[1] https://www.railforums.co.uk/forums/fares-advice-policy.105/

Post edited at 18:23
 annieman 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Glyno:

When I have looked at tickets on Trainline recently I see that they are offering "Split " ticketing, When I checked the Split tickets t&cs were for specific trains/journeys only. 

kevin stephens 01 Feb 2024
In reply to annieman:

We encountered a significant problem with split ticketing in that your seat reservations are not carried through so at best you may have to change seats /carriages or worst end up standing after the split. Not worth it for the saving

kevin stephens 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Glyno:

Trainline are just an agency, the conditions are set by the rail companies and explained in detail for particular journeys/legs on the trainline booking page; so it depends on what you bought

OP Glyno 02 Feb 2024
In reply to annieman:

> When I have looked at tickets on Trainline recently I see that they are offering "Split " ticketing, When I checked the Split tickets t&cs were for specific trains/journeys only. 

yes, it was when buying 'split tickets' that concerned me

Phil1919 02 Feb 2024
In reply to kevin stephens:

I usually travel on Avanti and head for the unreserved carriage, C. Its invariably quieter and cooler, and once you've got your seat, you keep it. Split tickets generally can save me quite a bit.

Phil1919 02 Feb 2024
In reply to kevin stephens:

Posted message twice by mistake.

Post edited at 07:46
 yorkshire_lad2 02 Feb 2024
In reply to Glyno:

If you made the purchase at one time, as one journey, but with split ticketing (e.g. using one of the split ticketing websites, or some of the mainstream sites that are now offering split ticketing), then if you missed a connection, the subsequent train companies should carry you on the next available service, if you explain nicely, what has happened, as soon as your ticket is checked.  Split ticketing is now "a thing".

Tyler 02 Feb 2024
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I'm not convinced that's the case. I've had one occasion where a tran has been cancelled and not allowed to use my ticket on the next train run by a different operator as well as the exact situation described by the OP where I had to wait for a train from the same operator. I imagine you might be able to pay for the connection and then claim back but I've never tried.

MG 02 Feb 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Yes. You know that whatever the legal nicities, any problems will be yours to deal with when late and pissed off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...