UKC

Travel to Germany from 7 Jan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 05 Jan 2021

We’re struggling to find out what might happen in Germany from 7th Jan when the current rules (must have residence in Germany for entry from the UK) may end. 

Our airline and the embassy aren’t sure (in fact the embassy thought we could travel tomorrow as planned) but the border police have said it’s not allowed.

I won’t go into the circumstances (it’s not a fun trip) but we’re not resident in Germany. If anyone out there knows anything (perhaps in the local press or something I can’t find on the English sites) it would be much appreciated.

The embassy rightly won’t speculate but something should be announced soon given the rules are about to lapse...

jimtitt 05 Jan 2021
In reply to James Malloch:

The current lockdown is until the 10th anyway and it's a dead cert that they will be lengthened until the 31st and almost certainly hardened, the main discussion point is opening schools or not.

Xharlie 05 Jan 2021

Current lockdown has been extended to the end of January. Not stricter or more lenient so I assume that the entry-from-the-UK rule remains in place.

A good source of German-perspective German (and European) news, presented in English, is the Deutsche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/ If lockdown rules change, they'll print it.

Šljiva 05 Jan 2021

Won’t the EU’s covid border restrictions now apply to us as a post-Brexit third country? 

cb294 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Šljiva:

Yes in principle, but Schengistan countries are free(-ish) to deviate to some extent either way.

CB

jimtitt 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Xharlie:

> Current lockdown has been extended to the end of January. Not stricter or more lenient so I assume that the entry-from-the-UK rule remains in place.

> A good source of German-perspective German (and European) news, presented in English, is the Deutsche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/ If lockdown rules change, they'll print it.

Hmm, a leak from the ministers discussion says it will be extended but since the conference hasn't happened yet it only a rumour. And according to the rumours it has also been tightened up. We'll wait and see what the individual states do.

Whether the general ban on travel from the UK to Germany will change after the 6th is unknown, it's not part of the discussion and decided elsewhere.

John Ww 05 Jan 2021

Not sure if it affects your plans, but just announced that in areas with an infection rate of 200/100,000 or more, travel from home is limited to 15km.

OP James Malloch 05 Jan 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

Thanks for the replies. As Jim mentioned, it’s a separate rule to the lockdown but unclear on what will happen or if it will be extended.

Currently you can on out enter Germany from the UK if you have residence in Germany. The embassy said flights should be normal from the 6th when we were due to fly. But we found out yesterday that this was incorrect and we’re not permitted to enter tomorrow. 
The embassy and boarder police don’t know what the law will be on the 7th yet. So we’re tying to decide whether to book and risk being turned away (though this would be in Brussels during a transfer).

It is for a funeral so the travel perimeter wouldn’t be an issue. And quarantine is exempt in saxony due to it being first degree family.

the UK looks like it’s adding another spanner with testing to come back to the UK which probably wouldn’t be possible in the time we’re away...

F******  covid.

cb294 06 Jan 2021

The travel ban always allowed for a shortish list of exemptions, not including skiing. Ask the embassy whether a funeral counts as such an exemption. If so you may have to bring documentation to the check in. Most airports should have on the spot PCR testing, unfortunately it costs quite a bit.

CB

OP James Malloch 06 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:
We were told no exemptions by the boarder police this time unfortunately. Certainly not with how late we found out the guidance on dates was wrong anyway...

All the guidance still says the ban is in place at least until today. I’m just hoping that some clarity comes to allow a flight to be booked for tomorrow!

In reply to cb294:

Good to know about the testing though, thank you. We’ve had them at the airport upon arrival before (when they were free for those from high risk areas) but I didn’t realise there were paid for versions as well.

cb294 06 Jan 2021

Which Bundesland will you be travelling to? Several  allow urgent "social occasions", presumably covering stuff like weddings andd funerals.

CB

In reply to cb294:

Leipzig (Saxony). Their local team said it would be fine for us to travel as an exemption. But we'd have to fly into Frankfurt and they said no exemptions allowed into their airport. 

It's all a bit too uncertain without risking being stopped somewhere. 

Lufthansa now say:

> Booked travel date from and including 07 January 2021 from the United Kingdom and from and including 07 January 2021 from South Africa

> Lufthansa does not yet have any information for this period. However, an extension of the current regulation is expected; please continue to check this page for more information.

So it’s looking unlikely.

cb294 06 Jan 2021

Fine according to the local regulations in Saxony, at least as far as I can make out.

Frankfurt does offer rapid PCR testing at arrivals, which would be sufficient if you fall into the exception listed by the state of Hesse, which again I think you should according to the official web site.

https://soziales.hessen.de/gesundheit/corona-hessen/quarantaene-bestimmunge...

Welcome to the wonders of federalism, where one administration that has no clue is simply not enough!

Good luck.....

CB

Toerag 06 Jan 2021

Is driving an option?

In reply to Toerag:

> Is driving an option?

We thought about that, but we've done it multiple times over this last year and didn't want to risk the ports etc post Brexit. I think we're both a bit too exhausted for such a long drive too at the moment. 

jimtitt 06 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

That isn't the problem (my US importer came in through Frankfurt last week), it's that Lufthansa aren't allowed to carry passengers from the UK who don't have residency in Germany.

daftdazza 06 Jan 2021

With the Saxon government being quite open to you coming, could an option be flying to Prague then direct train to at least Dresden and on ward 1 hour train to Leipzig.  Or hire car in Prague and drive to Leipzig which should be under three hours.  Would depend on condition of entry into Czech Republic, but there won't be a border check on entering Germany and you would be going straight from Czech Republic into Saxony so presumably no need to isoate.

In reply to daftdazza:

Czech Republic is the same as of 5th Jan. No entry from the UK unless you’re a resident or have a long term  visa. 
No one wants the Brits...

daftdazza 06 Jan 2021

That's devastating, sympathies to you and family, I hope you are able to figure something out.

In reply to daftdazza:

> That's devastating, sympathies to you and family, I hope you are able to figure something out.

Thanks - looks like the ban is now extended until 20th January. Makes sense I guess with respect to the UKs current position. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...