UKC

Trump's Lawyer's opening statement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 27 Feb 2019

an interesting read over lunch.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000169-2d31-dc75-affd-bfb99a790001

Now it is probably only that I think Trump is a complete narcissist, that I think Cohen is being genuine here rather than trying to save his own skin, but it will be interesting to see what tweets come out from the Orange One.

a sample of quotes:

"He once asked me if I could name a country run by a black person that wasn’t a “shithole.” This was when Barack Obama was President of the United States."

"He had no desire or intention to lead this nation – only to market himself and to build his wealth and power. Mr. Trump would often say, this campaign was going to be the 'greatest infomercial in political history.'"

"I’m talking about a man who declares himself brilliant but directed me to threaten his high school, his colleges, and the College Board to never release his grades or SAT scores."

Post edited at 13:52
 subtle 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Derry:

But The Donald is making the world safe by denuclearisation of North Korea, and making America safe by getting funding for his wall.

Whilst here we have Brexit.

And foodbanks.

And zero hour contracts.

dh73 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Derry:

I don't doubt for one second that Trump is an A-hole of the greatest magnitude, but Cohen is also a lying cheat and I don't trust a word he says either. His statement is snivelling, self serving and worthless in my view. he should be locked away and ignored

Phil Anderson 27 Feb 2019
In reply to dh73:

> I don't doubt for one second that Trump is an A-hole of the greatest magnitude, but Cohen is also a lying cheat and I don't trust a word he says either. His statement is snivelling, self serving and worthless in my view. he should be locked away and ignored

What are your views on the supporting documentary evidence he has provided?

dh73 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Anderson:

I don't know, I haven't see them. His story may be accurate but I would want everything he says corroborated by entirely independent evidence, not just stuff he has produced himself. He simply isn't trustworthy so nothing he says can be taken at face value

Rob Exile Ward 27 Feb 2019
In reply to dh73:

Other views are available!

I think there is no shortage of corroborative evidence.

And it's always possible of course that Cohen is genuinely remorseful - personally I was struck by how genuine and penitent he sounds. Now, I know he's a lawyer, but sometimes, even lawyers make mistakes and apologise...

OP Derry 27 Feb 2019
In reply to dh73:

Trustworthy?

Compared to Trump? I think I believe Cohen more. But then that's probably because I want to believe him.

Post edited at 15:42
 dh73 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

as I say, what he is saying may happen to coincide with the truth this time but I don't think we should be hoodwinked by him. I am a criminal lawyer and have conducted trials beyond counting where both sides appeared to be perfectly believable and even produced "corroborative evidence" but one (or possibly both of them) MUST have been lying because they were saying opposite things (and not just what could be dismissed as an honest mistake about what happened)

I don't think humans are well equipped to spot lying at all, and some people are very good at lying

jimtitt 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Derry:

From Trumps viewpoint (and clearly from millions of others) the USA under Obama WAS a shithole.

off-duty 27 Feb 2019
In reply to dh73:

I have to say, watching his testimony is compelling. Cohen literally has nothing to lose and his testimony resonates.

elsewhere 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Derry:

" I have asked this Committee to ensure that my family be protected from Presidential threats"

That is quite a thing to start with.

OP Derry 27 Feb 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Indeed. And probably the title of his soon to be released book "presidential threats".

Seeing the live feed I find really interesting how the republicans are making him out to be this lying, aggressive, immoral lawyer, without thinking 'who the president employed as his right hand man for 10 years, until he got done for tax fraud'. 
Cohen IMO is coming off with plausible answers and de-bunking rumours he knows nothing about. If he really wanted to throw Trump under the bus he could have said he met russians while he was in the Czech Republic etc. 

Anyway, will make a great hollywood political thriller whatever the outcome.

john arran 27 Feb 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

> From Trumps viewpoint (and clearly from millions of others) the USA under Obama WAS a shithole.

From the dislikes it would seem that people are reading something different into your post than was actually written.

Pete Pozman 27 Feb 2019
In reply to dh73:

> I don't know, I haven't see them. His story may be accurate but I would want everything he says corroborated by entirely independent evidence, not just stuff he has ievesproduced himself. He simply isn't trustworthy so nothing he says can be taken at face value

He's going to gaol for his story so presumably the justice system believes him. Plus there's no remission of sentence for his testimony to Congress .

It seems quite simple: why should he take a "bullet" and Trump walk away. Is there any reason why anyone would? 

dread-i 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

>And it's always possible of course that Cohen is genuinely remorseful - personally I was struck by how genuine and penitent he sounds.

That may be the case, but he was never a great person in the first place. Let us not forget that he said:

"You're talking about Donald Trump, you're talking about the front-runner for the GOP, presidential candidate, as well as private individual, who never raped anybody and of course understand that by the very definition you can't rape your spouse,"

Using the fact that he was well funded, he could make bold claims to try shut down any media story:

"I think you should go ahead and write the story that you plan on writing; I think you should do it because I think you're an idiot, all right, and I think your paper is a joke," Cohen said. "And it's going to be my absolute pleasure to serve you with a $500 million lawsuit like ... I did to Univision."

But I think that he is an all round nice guy.

"So I'm warning you, tread very f***ing lightly because what I'm going to do to you is going to be f***ing disgusting. Do you understand me? Don't think you can hide behind your pen because it's not going to happen," Cohen said. "I'm more than happy to discuss it with your attorney and with your legal counsel because motherf***** you're going to need it."

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/31/615843930/listen-how-michael-cohen-protects-...

Edit:

Just to clarify, that's not rape in the literal sense. Just a violent assault, before having sex with her.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/donald-trump-ex-wife-claim-he-rap...

Post edited at 22:49
 fred99 28 Feb 2019
In reply to dh73:

> .... I am a criminal lawyer ...

And you expect us to believe anything you say ??

Dave Garnett 28 Feb 2019
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> It seems quite simple: why should he take a "bullet" and Trump walk away. Is there any reason why anyone would? 

If there's anyone I would dodge a bullet for, it would be Trump!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...