UKC

UK national sport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 07 Jul 2012
So Wimbledon is going well, The Tour is going well, the Cricket team are doing well and the Footy team are 4th best in the world. Can't wait for the Olympics
 Cuthbert 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Is the UK now ranked in football?
OP Al Evans 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Saor Alba: Well its England that is ranked 4th, but if we can have Murry for tennis the Scots can share our footy team (anyhow I think it should be a UK team internationally)
 verygneiss 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Ah, the season has begun when Andy Murray wins things and is suddenly transmogrified into Britain's Best (tm) rather than a Sullen Scot (c).
OP Al Evans 07 Jul 2012
In reply to verygneiss: Not by me, Scots are as much Brits as Yorkshiremen, which is saying a lot, so are Welshmen and Cornishmen, we are all under one flag.
 coinneach 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

You can share "Murry" if you wish but we have our own football team thanks.
OP Al Evans 08 Jul 2012
In reply to coinneach: So does England , Wales and N Ireland. But we also have a UK team for the Olympics just like every other sport, sorry about the Murray typo.
 silhouette 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
>..anyhow I think it should be a UK team internationally...

No, No, a thousand times

No

OP Al Evans 09 Jul 2012
In reply to silhouette: Why?
 The Lemming 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to silhouette) Why?

Tribalism, is the reason.
 Cuthbert 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Because people in Wales in Scotland want to see their countries play?
 coinneach 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

On reflection Al it's a great idea!

We could do this also :

Combine the two Manchester teams. They could be mancity utd

Same for Liverton

Why have two clubs from Sheffield ? Sheffield City.

London Wanderers would make a great team too if we just joined up Chelsea, spurs, arsenal, fulham and west ham!
 Cuthbert 09 Jul 2012
In reply to coinneach:

Why not have a European team? This might get one or two players from the UK.

You could have EU select against Yorkshire massive....
OP Al Evans 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Because people in Wales in Scotland want to see their countries play?

But they can still do that in the home countrys champs, or the 6 nations. It's like saying Yorkshire want to see their county play, they do every week. I don't think it's so much nationalism as anti Englishism.
 GrahamD 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Murray and the golfers don't count because although they are British, they aren't representing GB. Even team SKY in the TDF is not really representing GB.
OP Al Evans 09 Jul 2012
In reply to coinneach:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> On reflection Al it's a great idea!
>
> We could do this also :
>
> Combine the two Manchester teams. They could be mancity utd
>
> Same for Liverton
>
> Why have two clubs from Sheffield ? Sheffield City.
>
> London Wanderers would make a great team too if we just joined up Chelsea, spurs, arsenal, fulham and west ham!

Well thats exactly what we do in internationals, so we don't need to do it at a regional level!
 coinneach 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

It's not "anti" anyone

It's "pro scottish / welsh /northern irish"
 mcdougal 09 Jul 2012
In reply to coinneach:

Call it what you want, it's sad.

Cuthbert 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

What are you wittering on about? No one has mentioned anything against England. You are paranoid.

It's simply that people want to see their country play. I don't see the FA calling for a UK team for the Euros or World Cup.

I reckon an EU team would be good. Representing the good people of Yorkshire could be captain Cristiano Ronaldo. Didier Drogba would be the first choice of all Mancunians. Carlos Tevez would be the natural choice of Londoners. Mark Van Bommel could be a good choice for Newcastle.
 MJ 09 Jul 2012
In Reply to Thread in General: -

Rugby Union has the British and Irish Lions, any reason why Football can't have something similar?
 coinneach 09 Jul 2012
In reply to mcdougal:

Why is it sad?
Removed User 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

With the debacle that is unfolding in the SPL at the moment I fully expect that Scottish football above junior level will implode in the next three years.

After that we may hear discussions in Scotland about an end to 4 separate countries representing the UK.

coinneach 09 Jul 2012
In reply to MJ:

When the four rugby nations combine to form The Lions they present a formidable challenge to the top sides in World rugby ie New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

It's hard to see why the top footballing sides would see a GB team as anything worth playing against when the "strongest" of the countries isn't in the top four of even the European standings.

BTW Al.............the home internationals haven't been played for over 20 years!
OP Al Evans 09 Jul 2012
In reply to coinneach:
> (In reply to MJ)
> BTW Al.............the home internationals haven't been played for over 20 years!

I'm sorry I hadn't realised that and if so thats sad, it doesn't take away the reason for a truly national UK side but it is a good reason why people from the other countries that make up the UK feel a need to maintain their national teams so strongly. Also why it does not happen in atheletics where thare are still home championships and yet the pride in a national UK team.
 Steve John B 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Because people in Wales in Scotland want to see their counties play?

"Fixed That For You"
 mcdougal 10 Jul 2012
In reply to coinneach:

You're dressing up your tribalism as a positive thing.
Be honest.
 coinneach 10 Jul 2012
In reply to mcdougal:

It is a positive thing.

I ain't dressing up nothing!
 mcdougal 10 Jul 2012
In reply to coinneach:

I'm pleased that you see it that way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...