UKC

Using Hand Signals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bojo 16 Sep 2022

Here's the scenario. Rear off-side indicator stops working so I check the bulb which turns out to be fine. I decide to take the car to a local garage for a diagnosis. The problem is that the(short) journey involves an unavoidable right turn.

Mindful of the non-function rear indicator I do what I believed to be a text book manoevre. I checked my mirrors and noted a vehicle about two lengths behind, slowed down and lowered my window. With a hand signal I indicated my intention to turn right and eased towards middle of the road. The said car behind me then passed on my near side with the driver winding his window down and gesticulating and mouthing off aggresively.

I believe that, under the circumstances I used my common sense and took the only course of action I reasonable could.

What would others have done?

james1978 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

I would have shouted back some rude words of my own. 

john arran 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

> What would others have done?

Fully expected that to happen, so smiled contentedly knowing that faith in the stupidity of other drivers hasn't been misplaced.

Hooo 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Stuck a BMW logo on my car so that no one expects me to indicate.

In reply to Bojo:

When I was a kid my dad's car had semaphore signals that were always sticking but I learned to drive in a car with indicator lights. Nevertheless the driving test required me to demonstrate my use of hand signals at some point. I was complimented by my examiner on the flamboyance of my waving hand to indicate slowing down, but he still dumped me on failure to make adequate progress while negotiating a notoriously difficult junction at a very busy time!

henwardian 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Shame to state the agonisingly obvious but if the car basically wasn't road legal then it shouldn't have been out driving. In practical terms, personally I'd probably just have driven to the garage with a bit more due care and attention than normal but without any of that hand wavy stuff. In legal terms you'd probably need a towtruck.

profitofdoom 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

"What would others have done?" Driving to the garage, I would not do that right turn with a car behind me 

Post edited at 20:32
In reply to profitofdoom:

And now seriously, what would you have done? 

deacondeacon 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Some people are just dicks. Forget about it.

deacondeacon 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

He could go past the garage, turn left, then turn left, then turn left ad infinitum until coming up to the garage again. 🙂

FactorXXX 16 Sep 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

> He could go past the garage, turn left, then turn left, then turn left ad infinitum until coming up to the garage again. 🙂

Or drive in reverse...

profitofdoom 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

> And now seriously, what would you have done? 

I was being serious 

Darkinbad 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Three left turns

Groundhog 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Check the fuse?

OP Bojo 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Groundhog:

> Check the fuse?

In what way does that relate to hand signals?

druridge 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Pity his ignorance?

bouldery bits 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

You did all the right things. 

The other driver didn't understand your predicament. 

I'd lose no sleep over it. Hope it's sorted soon!

freeflyer 18 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

> I believe that, under the circumstances I used my common sense and took the only course of action I reasonable could.

> What would others have done?

Get with the beat. Your understanding of modern indicator technology is lacking.

Clearly you should have opened the window and repeatedly thrown your arm out sideways and pulled it back in again until the turn was complete.

montyjohn 18 Sep 2022
In reply to Bojo:

I wouldn't bother with hand signals.

I would just make my intentions clear via road position and speed.

Plenty of people seem to get away with doing this all the time so one short trip shouldn't be an issue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...