UKC

Wot, no Singapore summit thread.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arch 12 Jun 2018

Didn't something slightly important happen in Asia earlier today ??

You wouldn't know on here though. 

wbo 12 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

Actually no.  It's not very important except it generates column inches for a couple of egomaniacs.  Unless you live in NKorea anything that happens there has approximately zero impact.

The most interesting thing is how comfortable Trump is with dictators as opposed to elected leaders

cander 12 Jun 2018
In reply to wbo:

To be fair, any movement away from the rhetoric of nuclear strikes has got to be good news for everyone. Let’s hope the words are matched by deeds.

Tyler 12 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

I think the approach Trump is taking is the correct one so credit to him for that but there are several buts, which you are probably already aware of, the main one being if you can go from insulting someone to being their best buddy after a short meeting you can swing back just as quickly.

Tyler 12 Jun 2018
In reply to wbo:

> The most interesting thing is how comfortable Trump is with dictators as opposed to elected leaders

Yep, he is on record as trusting Putin and Kim but not America'' closest allies .

pasbury 12 Jun 2018
In reply to wbo:

Spot on

pasbury 12 Jun 2018
In reply to Tyler:

> Yep, he is on record as trusting Putin and Kim but not America'' closest allies .

Or even half of the population of his own country.

Toerag 13 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

The rules of the game have changed. America now knows NK are a nuclear power and can fight wars on a relatively even footing compared to in the past. Good article here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/king_of_pyongyang

GarethSL 13 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

Kim Jong Un just makes Trump look even more incompetent. From the brief video clips I've seen, he is far more profound and eloquent when he speaks. Which, when put next to Tw*tfeatures, almost makes him the more likeable* character.

*He's obviously still an absolute prick, but there is a real chance he's realised its 2018 and perhaps time to drag NK out of the stone age. Ideally leaving anyone in his upper-tier still stuck in the past behind. I am however overly optimistic and typically underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

snoop6060 13 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

Trump is getting played like a puppet. PR jackpot for north korea. Suddenly Kim the nut job dictator is looking all calm, collected and respectful. Oh aye. 

MonkeyPuzzle 13 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

It's great to see that if you develop nuclear weapons in breach of all international treaties that you begin to get better treatment from the outside world. I'm sure Iran was taking notes throughout.

krikoman 13 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

> Didn't something slightly important happen in Asia earlier today ??

> You wouldn't know on here though. 

What do you think was the important part of it?

Roadrunner6 13 Jun 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

I think he may be being played by China and Russia to get out of the region and free them up to become the dominant forces.

China especially. Geopolitically this could have huge implications.

It's amazing how the Republicans are now loving this yet the Iran deal was untrustworthy.. yet after one meeting North Korea is no nuclear threat.

TBH the insistence to get rid of all nucs is odd, they won't but even if they do its the knowledge gained during the program which is most important. 

But Trudeau has a special place in hell and Kim is a talented man according to Trump. 

cander 13 Jun 2018
In reply to Roadrunner6:

To be accurate, “a special place in hell” was said by Peter Navarro, a trade adviser - not by the President. 

I’d be very surprised if China wasn’t encouraging North Korea to engage in talks and to dismantle their nuclear capability - no one wants nuclear proliferation, particularly those countries which already have them.

Trangia 13 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

Singapore summit?

Wot's the highest summit in Singapore then?

Jim 1003 13 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

Its because Trump has done well and the UKC Jeremies hate him...

Rob Exile Ward 13 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

Whatever. 

OP arch 13 Jun 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> What do you think was the important part of it?

Just the fact they've met, after all the insults and threats that were traded. After that, I hope we get some sort of agreement to de-nuclearise. 

I'm pretty sure the Good Friday agreement wasn't all drawn up after 40 minutes, unless you know different ??

Dax H 13 Jun 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> It's great to see that if you develop nuclear weapons in breach of all international treaties that you begin to get better treatment from the outside world. I'm sure Iran was taking notes throughout.

Would you abide by a treaty that says "we can have them but you can't"  ? Oh and by the way if you don't do what we say we will use ours to scare you in to following our rules.

Ps I am not pro nuclear but I am very much against do as I say not as I do, especially now as that petulant ginger tw*t might be able to launch them (I say might because I live in hope that his generals have given him fake launch codes just in case) 

MonkeyPuzzle 13 Jun 2018
In reply to Dax H:

I think anyone that wants a nuclear weapon is not right in the head straight from the off and therefore someone I wouldn't want to have any. However, I'm merely pointing out that for all the triumph this is being sold as, if Kim gets less American involvement on the Korean peninsula as expected, then it's triumph for him and China, as well as proof to any wannabe despot that if you arm up and act threatening you'll be rewarded for it.

Roadrunner6 13 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

No but he called Trudeau weak and dishonest, but he's adviser's have been after Trudeau all week. 

China could get NK to disarm, they are the ones keeping the nation alive. I think they more importantly want the US out of the region.

Nothing has happened though. They've said they will but that means nothing and they say sanctions will be lifted but nothing has been done so far.

I think Trump is desperate for good news and so is Kim so the Summit was largely a photo Op, meanwhile Cohen is said to be close to a flip and to give evidence against Trump. 

It's funny how the Republicans went after Clinton/Lewinsky whilst investigating property deals in Arkansas, but now Mueller is looking at Trump's finances whilst looking into Russian collusion those areas are meant to be off limits.

Kelly Ann Conways husband has done a good piece today explaining how any republican arguments that Mueller's investigation is unconstitutional is flawed.

George Ormerod 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

I think you mean Jeremiah's.  But anyway, as usual, Trump has done a shit deal and is portraying it as an excellent one.  It's worse than 2005 and we've been here loads of times before, but without giving away any concessions about military exercises.  There's no mention of verifiable, irreversible disarmament, so it's meaningless.  Still, it's better than the fire and fury bollocks at the end of last year.  And it gives the US time to focus on it's real threat:  Canada. 

wbo 14 Jun 2018
In reply to arch: I think that's true, but this is very vague, and we've been here before with NKorea, and they've reneged both times.  There's already a good deal of wiggling from both parties going on.

Is it important - yes, but compared to a lot of other things, no, not really.  Trade tariffs and a trade war will have a direct impact on you.  The war in Yemen , tied to the problem of the Iran nuclear 'deal' is more important. The withdrawal of the US from the democratic west is important.  This is important, but less so.

To Jim1003 - Kim Jong-Un won bigly - he got treated as an equal by an American president! Big win - take that libtards!

RomTheBear 14 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

Kim has won, that is what happened.

He's got his bomb, South Korea doesn't want reunification with the north anymore, nor does China, Japan doesn't want of a new bigger regional power, and trump gave him unprecedented security assurances.

This has all worked out perfectly for Kim, who doesn't even need his bomb that much anymore.

Post edited at 08:34
 krikoman 14 Jun 2018
In reply to arch:

> Just the fact they've met, after all the insults and threats that were traded. After that, I hope we get some sort of agreement to de-nuclearise. 

You right, I hope we do get a denuclearised world never mind NK. It's weird  how some people here are supporters of our nuclear weapons, yet don't want other countries to have them.

I'm not sure there's much to come away with, beside they met, from Nk at the moment, but I suppose that's a start. Trumps a bit flaky though and quite often changes his mind, reneging on the Iran deal shows that.

> I'm pretty sure the Good Friday agreement wasn't all drawn up after 40 minutes, unless you know different ??

I'm pretty sure of that to, though you're right, I don't know for certain.

Jim 1003 14 Jun 2018
In reply to George Ormerod:

I meant Jeremies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...