UKC

..oh camera advice also needed!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
louise 19 May 2002
Can anyone also recommend a camera( not too expensive)- digital or otherwise able to withstand cold temperatures -i.e -15 to -25 and one that takes decent photos ..thanks
NeilP 19 May 2002
In reply to louise: Louise, how much do you want to spend?
Do you want it brand new or will secondhand do?
Do you want prints (snaphots) to show around, quality prints to frame (if so, what size) or pics to look at on your mac/pc or to push around the internet ?
Tim, the Grey 19 May 2002
In reply to louise: Olympus OM-1. No contest. Fully mechanical, bulletproof, reasonably light. Quality results.
Ask Chris Bonington, if you don't believe me!
Don't go digital. Unless you have shares in Duracell?

Tim, the Grey
OP Ross C 19 May 2002
cannon eos 300. A superb camera I recently took to the himalayas. Worked fine at -15, batteries last forever!
The camera has been frozen solid in a snow cave, dropped from waist height onto concreate, avalanched, and used intensively. It came with a 28-90mm lens, and has worked brilliantly producing shots good enough for magazines, internet use, and very high quality landscape shots, such as sydney opera house in the setting sun. It was so good in fact, I had it enlarged to A4 and gave it to my brother for a birthday present.
The camera is fully automatic, including focus, which makes it brilliant for point and click whilst belaying or shot's whilst climbing, and comes with a host of easy to use settings for different situations.
Brilliant, and highly recommended! £360 new I think, but I got it ex-display from jessops (they have heaps of ex-display, even a catalog last time I looked, just for ex-display) came with a year's warrenty, and I paid £180.
Best £180 I ever spent on any form of camera, digital or otherwise.

Spider
 CENSORED 19 May 2002
In reply to Ross C: I bet your brother was bowled over by your generosity!

Rich2002 20 May 2002
In reply to louise: Oly mpus Mju II. Just do a search in the forums for this and you'll see the praise it gets.
our rich 20 May 2002
In reply to louise: If you want to use the camera in v.cold conditions I'd go for a fully manual SLR. Takes great pictures, Had an automatic camera but even with new batteries it was too cold for it to work properly.
 Toby_W 20 May 2002
In reply to louise: Nikon FE2 or FM2n or the new Nikon FM3a for good manual SLRs or get an Olympus u2. Most important though take the time to take a good picture & read a couple of books or talk to a few keen photographers.
Cheers
Toby
 Jon Greengrass 20 May 2002
In reply to louise:
> Can anyone also recommend a camera( not too expensive)- digital or otherwise able to withstand cold temperatures -i.e -15 to -25 and one that takes decent photos ..thanks

one loaded with slide film!

O Mighty Tim 20 May 2002
In reply to Toby_W: You like being weighed down, don't you?
OM1 is under 700gms, body only.
FM2 is over a kilo!

Slide film is OK, if you know what you are doing.
ANY over exposure will kill the image. Spot metering, and manual exposure, if I use it.
Use print film, and a decent lab, if you want good results.
Far more latitude for error.

Tim, the Grey
 Toby_W 20 May 2002
In reply to O Mighty Tim: MMm I have an FE2 and GET AWAY it never weighs close to a kilo, does it. Kitchen scales out tonight.
Often torn regarding slide or print as you say any error in exposure with slide film can spoil the image while print has a much wider margin for error. Tried some reala recently and it gave very good results.
Cheers
Toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...