UKC

/ Protecting photo copyright

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Big Lee - on 11 Apr 2018

I just wondered what steps people take to protect/avoid their photos from being used without permission? I've had issues with sellers on leading book and auction sites using my photos to sell phone covers, pillow cases, even framed photos. It seems very hard to do anything about as it is around nine sellers in total, and likely sourcing their stuff from wholesalers in China or similar. I contacted the websites but it seems I need to deal with the individual sellers in question, despite most of them selling the same products. I imagine it is also hard to prove that I took the original photos and not really worth my time/expense, given I don't sell my photos and therefore am losing no income.

I wondered what steps people took in the first place to avoid such situations? Reducing photo resolution, or adding footnotes or watermarks to photos for example? And with what software? I use PS Elements, otherwise any open source program recommendations would be welcome. Or is this just something that goes with putting your photos on the Internet? Sorry if this is quite a simple subject for this forum but it's something I've never really bothered to look into until recently. 

Hardonicus - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Big Lee:

You are concerned that people are infringing copyright on some photos you took of some pillow cases?

Post edited at 13:17
Big Lee - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Hardonicus:

No, making pillowcase with my photo images.

kipman725 - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Big Lee:

This sounds interesting, can we see an example?

mrphilipoldham - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Big Lee:

Not putting them on the internet is the best start you can make! Otherwise, a pig ugly watermark across the middle of the image, or use a service such as ImageRights. 

Big Lee - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to kipman725:

Yeah just enter 'Shimshal Whitehorn' in a well known bookseller's website for example. You'll get more results for the .com and .ca versions. And that's just one photo image. It seems a losing battle to try and get this stuff off the net and figure it's better just to ignore it. Going forward it makes sense to me to be a bit more savvy about the matter though. The website that the images came from I no longer upload to due to it allowing the full size image to be downloaded by anyone.

Big Lee - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Yes using an ugly watermark seems to defeat the point of uploading a photo in the first place, unless the image is for sale. 

mrphilipoldham - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Big Lee:

Sadly it’s nigh on impossible to stop someone stealing your picture if they really want to. Even a low res picture, say 640px on the long edge will print well enough on fabric for most domestic uses (cushions, canvas etc) at the price they’re selling at. There is a website developer who’s created something which tries its best though, Pixelrights if I remember correctly. Made by photographers, for photographers.. the sample site will deter all but the hardiest of copyright thiefs. But it’s not free.

richprideaux - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Big Lee:

> Yes using an ugly watermark seems to defeat the point of uploading a photo in the first place, unless the image is for sale. 

I once heard someone refer to this as being akin to "shitting on the driver's seat to stop someone nicking your car"

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.