UKC

The Kendal Mountain Festival 2016 - 17 to 20 Nov

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Kendal Mountain Festival is by far the largest and most varied event of its type in the world. Rub shoulders with your heroes - filmmakers, adventurers and lecturers will gather from around the world with numerous world, European and UK film premieres. And of course it’s THE main social event for outdoor enthusiasts in the UK.

2016 HIGHLIGHTS
For the climbers & mountaineers, there's presentations from Alex Megos, Cedar Wright, Jorg Verhoeven & Katha Sauwein, Bullock and Boswell, plus the Scottish Winter Session.
For the snowsports fans Jenny Jones is back to host the session, featuring freeskier Enak Gavaggio.
Sarah Outen and Ash Dykes will thrill you with tales of their adventures around the world.
We have a mountain running Endurance Night Special with ultra-runner Anton Krupicka joining us from across the pond, as well as record-breaking fell runner Jasmin Paris.
We all know that at the heart of Kendal lies the best and most diverse films from the world of adventure filmmaking. This year you can see the world première of Al Lee's all action cinematic spectacular Blockheads and Leo Houlding in the UK première of Mirror Wall.

There's lots more online, head here to explore the programme fully - http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/programme

HOW TO BOOK TICKETS
The dates are 17-20 November and tickets are available now. Book online - http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/programme - or by phone 01539 725133 - news as it happens at http://www.mountainfest.co.uk

ACCOMMODATION
Easily accessible from the M6 and by train and there are plenty of accommodation options in and around the town but you need to be on your toes as they fill up very quickly over the Mountain Festival weekend.

For all your questions, accommodation and travel needs go to http://www.golakes.co.uk here you will find all the information you should need for your visit to Cumbria, alternatively call the accommodation booking line on 0845 450 1199.

Mark Collins 29 Sep 2016
In reply to Kendal Mountain Festival:

The trailers a bit of a departure from previous years, but pleased to make the cut
 airborne 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Mark Collins:

It's not the actual trailer - that'll be out in a couple of weeks. It's just a 'this is what the event is about' film, giving a taster.
 Mark Collins 18 Oct 2016
In reply to airborne:

Thanks for the heads up, that's a relief
In reply to Kendal Mountain Festival: The last couple of years have been noticeable for the number of people who can't get in to see films because of the huge numbers attending. Screenings being full 20 minutes or more before the start time is my experience. What's been done to sort that out? It's a lot of money to pay to not see the films you want to.

airborne 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Capacity always exceeds ticket numbers sold. Last year some screenings had only 10-12 people in them. It's just a function of timing and location - people like to stay within the Brewery Arts Centre area, which puts pressure on those venues.
In reply to airborne: I know. I was hoping someone from the festival would answer, but I guess no answer means they're not going to do anything about it.

Offwidth 08 Nov 2016
I thought it was better last year... at last a couple more film venues were utilised at the weekend. The much expanded free talks in the tents were really good at times. After not recommending it for people on a tight budget I think its starting to be worth it again. I do miss the Alpine Club /BMC short lectures from newish expedition climbers and some of the old fringe events (Owl & the Cragrat and of course Gordon Stainforth's Elvis !). Im sure Salt and Pepper Chips will remain good value despite pressures of Brexit.
Post edited at 08:36
In reply to Offwidth: I agree about the salt'n'pepper chips. If I was to turn up I'd just go for the free stuff. As it is, I just don't want to be surrounded by hordes of people in Himalalyan standard clothing high fiving each other. I can do that sort of thing in the comfort of my own bungalow.

Offwidth 08 Nov 2016

Bungalow... posh name for a kennel?

The kit on show can be rather embarrassing.. an adventure film festival is hardly a major expedition.
 Co1in H 09 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth: Maybe, but it's a "retail opportunity".
In the good old days of this festival us old folks got reduced price tickets. It's about time they started doing this again. Please.

Offwidth 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Co1in H:

I sympathise if some older folk are struggling to afford things, yet the festival is arguably over-full with the wealthy middle aged to old, the festival actually needs more independant youth.
 Co1in H 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth: I won't take that as an insult as I appreciate the point about bringing youngsters into the outdoors and to festivals. However, I've been walking and climbing for over 50 years and still take an active role. I buy the books, attend the lectures whenever possible, buy the gear (infrequently) but have a very limited income. I am not one of the penision pot crowd, but nevertheless it is usual at most events for those of a certain age to qualify for a discounted ticket. Under 18s get discounted film tickets which more than likely are bought by parents.
As I say, in days gone by there was a discount and also a reduction if you bought tickets for a certain number of events. This discussion could go on forever but when you've worked solidly for 42 years and find that your income is way less than half what it was and not what the governments and pension providers assured us we would get, it does ranle a bit. Moan over.

Offwidth 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Co1in H:
If you can come up with a sensible system of subsidy that doesn't encourage the older rich at the expense of everyone else, I'll support it. Most of my climbing friends are in their 20s and 30s and they also struggle to afford to go (most don't). Compared to me: my students graduate with a 50k debt and a loan for their grant on top and much worse prospects for lifelong employment; pensions are much less generous than mine; rent/mortgage take a much larger proportion of my young friends income than I had to pay when I was their age.
Post edited at 12:12
 Co1in H 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth: Subsidy? Nice but impossible. I think we would argue this forever and I'm not up for tit for tat arguments. My 2 kids are in their 20s and 30s and struggle, despite what are percieved as good jobs. Housing costs are apalling and one still has over 30k of University fees to pay back so I'm well aware.
Lets face it, for most people life is a bummer financialy. Certainly is for me, but then again I suppose I'm in a lot better place than billions of other people.
See you at the Festival then.

Mark Collins 15 Nov 2016

> The last couple of years have been noticeable for the number of people who can't get in to see films because of the huge numbers attending. Screenings being full 20 minutes or more before the start time is my experience. What's been done to sort that out? It's a lot of money to pay to not see the films you want to.

I know I say this every year, but if you can get to the Saturday 9am showings you'll almost certainly get a seat anywhere in the Brewery Arts Centre. We were surrounded by empty seats for the climbing 1/2 film sessions in screens 1/2 last year. Just to warn you, I may have to wear my big duvet jacket again this year, but I promise not to high 5 anyone, not even ironically.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...