UKC

Climbing in Swaledale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Callum Smith 12 Aug 2019

Kisdon Force, Swaledale

Hi all,

Was walking some of the Pennine way last weekend and spotted Kisdon Force, nr. Keld. 

On the opposite side of the valley (Pennine way path side) there also looks to be several buttresses of good height.

Has anyone been to these any of these crags? Are they just cheese, or are they worth exploring?

Cheers,

Callum

Ray Sharples 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Callum Smith:

Some of them possibly listed here ?: http://www.climbonline.co.uk/swaledale.htm

Jon Stewart 12 Aug 2019

Rings a bell that someone was discussing those very crags on here some time in the last couple of years - a bit of searching the forums will turn something up. 

Emilio Bachini 12 Aug 2019

Hi Callum, the buttress on the North side of the river is somewhat developed though considering it’s width it wouldn’t be unfair to say massively underdeveloped in my opinion.

However this is mostly due to the nature of the rock, proper choss might cover it in most cases.

I rebolted a couple of routes there last year (which both look good but I haven’t made it back to do them) and started bolting another one this year (though I also haven’t been back to finish it yet either) and there’s also a good 6b on the right side that’s worth doing.  

full stottie 12 Aug 2019

Is it this crag you mean?  Kisdon Force, Swaledale If so, in the early 70's we had a look here, there had been some aid climbing there, and an added pencilled note I made in my 1980 North of England Guide (by Wilson and Kenyon) says of Kisdon Gorge  "Near rt hand end - one good steep crack turning overhang half height - HVS? Old wooden wedge in place"

My memory is that the rock was quite good, but very steep. I walked past it again a few years ago and thought it might have potential for modern hard routes (not by me) although there was quite a bit of vegetation and rock debris at the bottom. I moved away from Swaledale many years ago so maybe someone currently active can help you more.

Dave

Post edited at 22:15
 Simon Caldwell 13 Aug 2019

I expect Chris Craggs will be along soon...

Lankyman 13 Aug 2019

Hi Callum

I suspect you were looking at these (opposite the big bolted crag at Kisdon Force) and on the same side of the river as the PW.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2010885

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3041827

As you can see, the rock has 'changed' a little over time.  Chris Crowder and I briefly had a look back in 1986-ish but we had other options nearby which looked a better bet at the time.  I've walked past them a few times - there's a track right under them which drops down to the falls.  With bolts there'd definitely be something to do - shame the pinnacle fell over, it was quite spectacular. We also inspected some of the trad lines on Kisdon Force but couldn't get overly excited about it as we weren't into bolting things up. There is a lot of potential in Swaledale for anyone prepared to go and look.

Cheers, Karl

full stottie 13 Aug 2019

Sorry, didn't read your post properly - I was thinking north side of river. But I'd be curious to know if Kisdon Gorge crag has had any recent developments, if anyone on this thread knows anything.

Dave

OP Callum Smith 15 Aug 2019

Cheers for the info, sounds like it would be worth a further look. I'll take a helmet!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...