UKC

Has anyone ever climbed in Chulilla in summer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Swin 06 Jan 2024

Has anyone ever been to Chulilla in Summer? I know some of the crags are shaded but wasn't sure if the valley got hot like an oven and funneled the heat up to the crags?

Thanks 

jezb1 06 Jan 2024
In reply to Swin:

I’ve spent a lot of time here but not in summer. Every single local person says no way in the summer, too hot. 
Of course you can, there are shady crags, but Chulilla would not be my summer choice.

Alun 07 Jan 2024
In reply to Swin:

The nighttime temps won’t drop below low 20s and daytime in the shade will be mid 30s or more. It’s possible but you’d have to get up early and stop climbing by 10am, 11 latest. Spanish climbers head to the mountains in the summer!

Ian Patterson 07 Jan 2024
In reply to Alun:

Just to add to the consensus I really rate Chulilla but definitely wouldn't consider it as summer venue.  In addition to the heat I think the often smooth and sometimes polished rock means that conditions matter more than normal on limestone.  I have managed to climb with some degree of success in Europe in the summer (Majorca, Sardinia, parts of France) but don't think Chulilla is a good choice.

Enty 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Swin:

Chulilla is slimy and greasy when conditions are tip-top.

E

Climbing Stew 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Enty:

Nonsense. It has it's fair share of slippery holds but rarely is it "slimy and greasy".

Climber_Bill 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Enty:

40% humidity yesterday. Amazing dry conditions and hardly needed to chalk whilst climbing. That is not slimy and greasy by any stretch of the imagination.

In reply to Swin:

It won't be overcrowded  though. 

olliee 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Swin:

Due to the river I've heard it turns into a mosquito infested hell.

Enty 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Climber_Bill:

I knew I should've put a smiley emoji. 

E

Robert Durran 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Climbing Stew:

> Nonsense. It has it's fair share of slippery holds but rarely is it "slimy and greasy".

My experience of the place on two visits is that the climbing just has a tired, worn out feel to it. Far too much polish for my liking; I didn't get on with the climbing at all. I doubt I'd go back when there are so many other fresher and quieter places to go. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...