UKC

Holiday Climbing Insurance (Family)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richrob 25 Jul 2023

Family Travel Insurance including Rock Climbing/Bouldering.

I know this type of question has be asked many times before but keen to know if anyone has found any magic solution recently.

Situation:

- Family holiday to France/Austria with kids (<10yrs old)  

- Plan to do some easy bouldering in Font and some single pitch sports routes in Austria - on easy access child friendly venues.

Not planning to do anything at high altitude.

Current Cover

- BMC family membership

- GHIC

- Generic travel insurance which doesn’t include climbing.

Question

Is there any more affordable option than full blown BMC Rock climbing policy or AAC membership.

It’s simply SO expensive for us for what we want to do. There doesent seem to be any price differentiation based on the relative un-extremeness of what we want to do.

Equally can’t justify not being covered if we go climbing - maybe we just can’t go climbing whilst we’re on holiday!?

We would almost certainly not need ‘rescue’ and GHIC would presumably cover a lot of immediate in country medical care but we wouldn’t have any repatriation cover if seriously injured.

Any helpful advice really appreciated!

many regards,

Richard

Post edited at 15:02
 alasdair19 25 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

The kids are free with the AAC so under £100 for all of you...

OP Richrob 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Thanks very much - I hadn’t seen that * on the website. Haven’t had AAC membership since pre-kids.

Rich

Kimberley 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

AAC includes repatriation.

Kimberley 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Free membership is available for the following:

For children/youths aged between 0 and 18, if both parents are current AAC(UK) members then membership is free. This also applies to children/youths with a single parent or guardian who is a current AAC(UK) member. When applying on behalf of a person under 18, you must be that person’s parent or legal guardian, or have the approval of their parent or guardian.

Sam W 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

We were in a very similar situation last year, I ended up going with Snowcard which was the cheapest (but still not cheap) cover I could find that I trusted to actually pay out.

I did look at AAC, but we're not currently members and it actually worked out more expensive than paying for the standalone travel policy.  I was also concerned that it might leave (very expensive) gaps in cover.

OP Richrob 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Kimberley:

Thanks 👍

OP Richrob 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Sam W:

Thanks Sam, can you remember what the gaps in cover were with AAC that made you want to go with snowcard?

Rich

Sam W 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

> Thanks Sam, can you remember what the gaps in cover were with AAC that made you want to go with snowcard?

> Rich

The main one that I can remember was the rescue cover.  AAC offer 25k euros, Snowcard covers £100k.  We were in Switzerland, I wasn't confident that 25k euros would actually go that far.

More broadly, I'm always nervous of covering one trip on two policies (e.g. generic travel & AAC), there seems to be a big opportunity for insurers to start squabbling about who should be paying out.

TheGeneralist 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

I feel your pain. BMC insurance for our family mtb and bouldering fortnight was around £800.

Snowcard is £500

It's insane.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...