UKC

Kelso/Borders.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike reed 05 Aug 2023

Borders based climbers….
Thinking of a new home ion the area. 
Where do you train when its crap weather?
Where are your ‘localcrags - is the county sandstone the nearest good option?
Kelso/Wooler?alnwick are lovely, but Kelso especially is a long way from a climbing wall
Any beta appreciated. 
Mike

petegunn 06 Aug 2023
In reply to mike reed:

Not local as I live in Carlisle but we often climb in Northumberland as the weather is always better over east, away from the hills and prevailing weather. The Northumberland crags are beautiful sandstone and there are lots of them, with superb bouldering and trad. The sea cliffs up by Dunbar / North Berwick are also good and well worth exploring and theres a couple of small sport crags around the Laws.

Climbing wall wise I think you'll have to travel to either Newcastle / Edinburgh or Carlisle so you might have to build yourself a little board, unless someone knows of another wall closer to Kelso.

Beautiful county with lots of climbing, walking with hills and coast to explore - the surfing is also good.

Post edited at 10:35
 Ian W 06 Aug 2023
In reply to mike reed:

Pretty well what Pete said, just to add that there is a small bouldering wall in alnwick, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to get to Edinburgh from kelso. Also howmuch of the Northumberland climbing you can get to from there, especially Bowden, Kyloe and spittal.

OP mike reed 06 Aug 2023
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks Pete. 
I’m also considering the area immediately east of Carlisle sort of Brampton Haltwhistle way. I’ve driven around there a fair bit recently, but not into Carlisle as yet. 
Is it a nice city to live in/close to??

petegunn 06 Aug 2023
In reply to mike reed:

We live on the east side of Carlisle so its quick to get out into the Eden valley and Northumberland or onto the M6 to head north or south and carlisle has good train links, north/south, east - Newcastle and the Carlisle - Settle line for Yorkshire.

Carlisle is a city but it's more of a glorified town in reality, it's got all the shops and tradesmen that you'll ever need, white goods, DIY, superstores etc. We dont really go out in town but theres plenty of pubs, restaurants and takeaways. Quite a lot of social things do go on but they are all quite small be it poetry reading, dancing, talks, live music etc.

There is a big leisure centre (The Sands) which run all the usual keep fit classes and has a swimming pool - unfortunately they didn't replace the only small lead wall which was there. The Sands have shows and gigs on most weekends but again it's only a 2k capacity theatre (well a converted sports hall!) so not a massive venue.

Eden Rock the bouldering centre is a very good (a bit biased I know 😉) have a look at their social media. The nearest lead walls are Penrith (leisure centre) and Kong in Keswick (8-10m) but Kendal is only 45 mins from Penrith for 24m lead wall.

If you enjoy road cycling (and hills!) the north Pennines has some wonderful classic hill climbs in beautiful open country. Hartside, Great Dun Fell, Chapel Fell and Nent Head to name a few and all very accessible from Brampton/ Carlisle.

Post edited at 21:03
OP mike reed 06 Aug 2023
In reply to petegunn:

Excellent beta, thanks for taking the time to write. 
Cheers
Mike. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...