UKC

Sheigra Camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Hutton 22 Jul 2023

Has anyone recently camped in the field close to Sheigra cliff tops in NW Scotland.  Wondering what the score is. It used to be free and there was a water tap

In reply to Mike Hutton:

We did in May. It was still a thing then. You can't drive any further than the cemetery so there's an extra maybe 200m to carry stuff. Understandable because erosion was a (quite striking, obvious, and slowly recovering) problem.

No water supply that we could see. Nearest tap, and toilets, a mile or so back up the road. There's an honesty box on the gatepost and sign asking for donations but also slightly strangely reminding you in a roundabout way that it's your right to wildcamp anywhere. We were happy to put in but remember thinking the wording was a bit odd.

Edit: I presumed you meant down by the beach but now realise that might not be what you meant by "the field close to Sheigra cliff tops". If there's another field up top, sorry can't help.

Post edited at 19:20
OP Mike Hutton 22 Jul 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Thanks thats very helpful 

icehockeyhair 22 Jul 2023
In reply to Mike Hutton:

Just back from that area, we were staying in a house slightly further up the road so can't confirm from direct experience but checked out camping situation for potential future visits. Honesty box still in place and sign on the gate by cemetery and sign saying no vehicles past that point as per Longsufferingropeholder's visit. Its not right by the cliff tops but your walk in is pretty minimal.

In reply to Mike Hutton:

No worries.

Also kinda obvious but remember it's sand so tent pegs are largely decorative. If you had a tent that blows away easily or relies on guy lines for structure you'd want to have thought about that.

OP Mike Hutton 31 Jul 2023
In reply to icehockeyhair:

Thanks

malky_c 31 Jul 2023
In reply to Mike Hutton:

The cemetry has a little storage building in one corner - pretty sure I spotted a tap on the outside of that when I walked past last June (2022). Google Streetview seems to show it still there earlier this year.

Robert Durran 31 Jul 2023
In reply to malky_c:

There has been quite a bit of coverage recently about locals on the NC500 and elsewhere being upset about van use of cemetery car parks. I wonder whether this could become an issue at Sheigra.

skog 31 Jul 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Hmm, seems you can get a second hand hearse starting from about £2.5k.

Plenty of space to sleep in the back, too.

malky_c 31 Jul 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

I'd be curious to know. 10 years ago I would have said it was tucked away and remote, therefore unlikely to see massive numbers of vans and motorhomes. But with the development of things like the park4night app, nothing is really off the beaten track any more. There was no-one down there last time I was there but it was in the middle of the day, so maybe not representative.

finc00 31 Jul 2023
In reply to malky_c:

That tap doesnt work, or didnt a month ago 

Probably another obvious point but for the benefit anyone unfamiliar stumbling on this in the future, you'll be passing the tap and toilets at some point every day.
It's very much a late afternoon/evening crag. The car park with the loos/water is on the only road in so whatever you do with the rest of the day will almost certainly take you past it.

mrjonathanr 31 Jul 2023
In reply to skog:

Unlikely you’d be woken by people knocking on the windows too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...