UKC

Steve Mclure Raindogs extensdion 9a

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
R Simpson 19 Jun 2003
http://www.planetfear.com/climbing/news/item.html?id=1012

Just thought id put something proper on this site for a change.
 Adam Lincoln 19 Jun 2003
In reply to R Simpson:

Yep, respek!

Bit warm and sweaty too, id have thought...

R Simpson 19 Jun 2003
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Did he do it today do ya no,

Cus its really windy down here maybe it was perfect conditions?
 Adam Lincoln 19 Jun 2003
In reply to R Simpson:

Not sure, he nearly did it the other week, but the jug he normally shkes out on was wet, so he just carried on, falling very very close from chain...

The jug must have been dry today!
 Michael Ryan 19 Jun 2003

Adam...How many 9a's at Malham now.......and how many on Yorkshire Limestone?

Mick
 Andy Farnell 19 Jun 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: Top effort by Steve. I think that makes 2 at Malham (if you include Total Eclipse) and Northern Lights, Kilnsey. Is that 6 in the country now then?

Andy F
 Adam Lincoln 19 Jun 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

One at Malham Mick. One also over at Kilnsey, one down the Peak and one over at Pen Trywn. 3 of the 4 being Steves.

By eck!
 Andy Farnell 19 Jun 2003
In reply to andy farnell: oops - so 3 in Yorkshire then, 2 in the Peak (both at Raven Tor) and 1 in Wales (the Big Bang), but none have been repeated yet to my knowledge.

Andy f
OP bob smith 19 Jun 2003
Yikes! Remember the photo's of Mark Leach in The Power of Climber - looked impressive! Re-call txt such as 'Raindogs is cruised then the climbing gets hard'.
bob
 Michael Ryan 19 Jun 2003

and the other being Neil Carsons......wowzie!

M
OP Me 19 Jun 2003
In reply to andy farnell: Cubby repeated the one on the Tor?

Me
 Graeme 19 Jun 2003
In reply to andy farnell: So there's mutation at Raven Tor whats the other one? The only others I can think of that come close are Hooligan 8c, Hubble 8c+, Bingo,(the Mecca extension)8c, oh and Make it Funky 8c. I like to think that you can include Total Eclipse for this list too, bringing the total to seven.
OP Mick J 20 Jun 2003
In reply to andy farnell: IF you include Total Eclipse what kind of bullshit is that ?
 Michael Ryan 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Mick J:

Well if Breach Of The Peace is 7b+ (given 8a), that makes Total Eclipse 8b+ (given 9a). You've got to knock a few off for the "hype" factor.

Perhaps that what he means Micky - boy.

M
Whispering nic 20 Jun 2003
Ooh you boys are so cutting.
 lummox 20 Jun 2003
In reply to R Simpson:
Just thought id put something proper on this site for a change.

Thanks.You`ve really enhanced the forum.
 Andy Farnell 20 Jun 2003
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA) Top effort by Steve. I think that makes 2 at Malham (if you include Total Eclipse) and Northern Lights, Kilnsey. Is that 6 in the country now then?
>
> Andy F

It wasn't meant as a derogatory term, just that I belive there has been some doubt about the grade (J. Moffat questioned it after going on it). If John think's it's 9a then I'm not going to argue with him.

Andy F
 Tom Briggs 20 Jun 2003
In reply to R Simpson:

Steve did the route on Wednesday evening. He either had to do it on Wednesday or Saturday this week, before heading off to Greenland for a month at the end of next week. Also, he says he was getting a tweaky finger on it, so all in all, it sounds like 'final hour' stuff. Fine effort, especially as Malham doesn't suit him

Oh, and he was celebrating last night with "a pie from Somerfield's"

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Adam Lincoln 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

Raindogs is 8a Tom
Carnage 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Graeme: And John Welfords The Bastard - isn't that 8c or 8c+

Does anyone know if anybody has actually done Ben Moons powerband link-up that you see him trying in One Summer?
 Mark Lloyd 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Adam Lincoln: is that if you grab the belay chain ? a bit harder if you don't as proved by some frenchie, D Rabatou
 Tom Briggs 20 Jun 2003

It's 8a if you reach up and grab the chain!

It's 8a+ to climb it into the crux bulges on Steve's new route.
 Adam Lincoln 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

Fairy Muff
 GrahamD 20 Jun 2003
In reply to R Simpson:

I'm impressed !

So how many 9as has Steve done altogether now ? 3 in this country for sure.

How many other people in the world have such an impressive tally ? about a dozen ? just curious
Carnage 20 Jun 2003
In reply to GrahamD: Check the records/scorecards at www.8a.nu
 GrahamD 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Carnage:

Probably my inability to use the site, but I couldn't find him anywhere on their 'rankings'
Carnage 20 Jun 2003
In reply to GrahamD: He may not have have registered there.

But many other 9a men have...
 Adam Lincoln 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Carnage:

Davey G doesnt even put his 9a's on...
OP Davey p 20 Jun 2003
In reply to R Simpson: Did he do it with a top rope from the top of raindogs then lead from there ? Also has he called it something else, ie like Sharma's route Realisation
 Adam Lincoln 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Davey p:

Would have to lead from ground, which he would have done
Carnage 20 Jun 2003
> (In reply to Carnage)
>
> Davey G doesnt even put his 9a's on...

Most of 'em are listed on the 9a/8c+ route list.
OP Davey p 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Adam Lincoln: When I was watching the other week he was top roping dogs then leading from the chain. Not that he has a problem climbing rain dogs he makes it look like a diff but its only right to do the whole lot. Its like a complete new route now. The way it should have been done in the first place.
OP Ed 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Davey p:

If Steve toproped Raindogs and then led through from the belay then so what? I'm sure he is more than capable of down-climbing the route, just like Ian Vickers has done, which would mean he is well within his rights to leave the bolts pre-clipped. It would save a lot of energy for him.

Also, what do you mean this is how the route should have been done originally? Are you saying the Raindogs chain should never have been put in and we would never have enjoyed one of the best 8a's in the country for the last 15 years???
johncoxmysteriously 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Ed:

>If Steve toproped Raindogs and then led through from the >belay then so what? I'm sure he is more than capable of >down-climbing the route, just like Ian Vickers has done, >which would mean he is well within his rights to leave >the bolts pre-clipped. It would save a lot of energy for >him.

You mean if he actually did downclimb it the day he did it, I take it? Otherwise this would surely invalidate the ascent for the very reason you give - saves a lot of energy. Or am I just way out of date thinking you gotta lead a route to be able to claim it?
OP Ed 20 Jun 2003
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Don't matter what day dude - if you downclimb it once then you've earned the right to leave pre-clipped!!
 Michael Ryan 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Ed:

Surely if someone has the fifth/sixth bolt pre-clipped because they've downclimed from that point, and it is a new route, it just leaves it open for a stylistically better ascent........as well as being probably harder.

I'm sure they would report such shenaningens.

M
OP johncoxmysteriously 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Ed:

Not in my book, I must say. Is this normal? Any sports ethics experts out there?
 Michael Ryan 20 Jun 2003
> (In reply to Ed)
>
> Not in my book, I must say. Is this normal? Any sports ethics experts out there?

On Malham Lower Wall people used to do this all the time. Can't remember the exact terminology but if you had the second bolt pre-clipped it was known as a Preston Redpoint I think.

There were other names as well.

It's a technique used to make a redpoint easier.

M

OP johncoxmysteriously 20 Jun 2003

>It's a technique used to make a redpoint easier.

Well, I can see that. Redpointers cheat only themselves, after all (if anyone, indeed). But an FA?
OP Ed 20 Jun 2003

What about Ian Vicker's ascent of Unjustified 8c at Malham 3 years ago with all of Something Stupid's (7b) 4 bolts plus the belay and 2 more in the bulges above preclipped before the eventual redpoint?? (7 in total?)

He had successfully done the downclimb days previously prior to the redpoint (I was there that day on New Dawn when he did it).

By the way, a plea to all you armchair redpointers out there. Stop nitpicking about semantics and get out there and climb!
 Michael Ryan 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Ed:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
>
> What about Ian Vicker's ascent of Unjustified 8c at Malham 3 years ago with all of Something Stupid's (7b) 4 bolts plus the belay and 2 more in the bulges above preclipped before the eventual redpoint?? (7 in total?)
>

The bloody cheat.

Well he is from Darwen.

What a flawed ascent! How terrible.

Can't write more I'm off climbing.

Mick
ste mac 22 Jun 2003
just so you guys know, I had the second bolt clipped when I led the extension as loads of people do on raindogs, not the raindogs belay, that would be taking the piss!
 Mark Lloyd 22 Jun 2003
In reply to ste mac:Good effort, got enought now for the 'my favourite 9a's' in ote.
 Adam Lincoln 23 Jun 2003
In reply to ste mac:

No question in your ethics as always!

Good luck on LRE!
OP Yorkspud 23 Jun 2003
In reply to Ed:

What an odd concept. Same attempt maybe.
OP Peter Walker 24 Jun 2003
In reply to Yorkspud: Notice that in the second news item on this story, supposedly Stefan Glowacz blew the onsight of Raindogs by not grabbing the chain; must admit, I'd always thought it was Didier Raboutou. Must be going senile.
OP Anonymous 24 Jun 2003
In reply to Peter Walker: I thought it was Raboutou too, maybe Glowacz had the same problem.
Can't say I've always avoided grabbing the chain especially if there are no jugs around.
 Fiend 24 Jun 2003
In reply to R Simpson:

WHEN ONE NEWS ITEM JUST ISN'T ENOUGH.

I like the way they're both in world news too....and that the second item is much less informative...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...