UKC

The climbing fetish (and why it’s superior), a manifesto.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 01 Oct 2023

Crampons biting into plastic ice, spindrift catching the sun. A pair of expertly wielded tools. A breathable neon jacket. Phwoar. But is it right to get a kick out of something as esoteric? Would a Carp fisherman be as excited by an expertly put together rig; I fear he would. Is it time to declare “My name’s broken spectre and I get disproportionately stimulated by the idea of climbing”?

No.

Why then transfix on such an activity?

The combination of problem solving, calculated bravery and the phenomenal views and situations? The camaraderie? The flash kit? It undeniably changes and moulds us; and imprints itself on our very identities, but instead of chasing peaks (or dreaming about it) we could as easily be logging train numbers (and dreaming about that!)

I think the answer could be nuanced.

It is a displacement activity, a fetish at a stretch, and what hobby isn’t? But it is a superior one to most.

In reply to broken spectre:

I’ve always maintained that it’s the physical feeling of it that is its greatest attraction, the upward flow in an often sensational exposed position, combined with the satisfaction of solving a very physical problem without falling off and without getting too pumped, or hopefully, too scared. 

alan moore 01 Oct 2023

The bite of butyl on a ragged edge.

Oof: suits you Sir...

Andrew Wells 02 Oct 2023

From a bouldering perspective; I like trying hard on difficult moves and the feeling of strength, power and skill you get from sticking them. That rush when you've tried a move loads and finally hit and hold it, the determination that comes from then keeping things under control as you go to top it out... there's a reason why we love it!

McHeath 02 Oct 2023

Flash kit, haha, you should see mine!

C Witter 02 Oct 2023

Climbing (trad, sport, bouldering, winter, scrambling, Alpinism, big mountains, indoors and out) is an activity with so many dimensions and so many opportunities to learn. That's why it's great. Footballers will always play on essentially the same pitch with the same number of players and the same number and shape of ball. Climbing has few boundaries and there's always another way to play. One day you fear death; the next, you feel like a child in a soft play; one day you are hunkering into a belay jacket while your mate obstinately batters himself against some godforsaken obstacle, and the next you are sitting on a summit with someone you love watching the sun sink below the blue mountains. With climbing, there's always so much to feel.

DaveHK 02 Oct 2023

I like your manifesto, let's put it to the testo...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...