UKC

Top 10 Kalymnos 7a's to onsight (for a friend!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 27 Sep 2013
Which ten 7a's are best for onsighting.

1. DNA
2. ?
 Alex Winter 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe: Aphrodite has a fairly stiff pull at the crux, but it's easy to see what you need to do from the floor. The rest of the route is easy jug pulling.
 dannyboy83 Global Crag Moderator 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Cigarillo at panorama and Sens unique at Iannis are both steady and very onsightable
OP Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 27 Sep 2013
In reply to dannyboy83:

1. DNA at Grande Grotte

2. Aphrodite at Grande Grotte
Has a fairly stiff pull at the crux but it is easy to read before you start. Note: Take glasses!

3. Cigarillo at Panorama

4. Sens unique at Iannis
 mal_meech 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Les Pirates de Sikati (more wall climbing than you'd expect)
Lolita
Axiom / Kastor (both borderline 6c+)
Dafni
Fouska (short, powerful, easy if you can jam...)
 marky 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe:
DNA
Kerveros
Trela
Steinpilz
Chnosi Family
Ixion
Sens Unique
Nestoras
Ioli
Aeolia
OP Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe:

DNA at Grande Grotte

Kerberos at Grande Grotte

Trella at Grande Grotte

Steinpilz at Panorama

Chnosi Family at Panorama

Ixion at Kalydna

Sens unique at Iannis

Nestoras at lliada

Ioli at Ghost Kitchen

Aeolia at Panorama

Aphrodite at Grande Grotte
Has a fairly stiff pull at the crux but it is easy to read before you start. Note: Take glasses!

Cigarillo at Panorama

Les Pirates de Sikati at Sikati cave
more wall climbing than you'd expect

Lolita at Sikati cave

Axiom (borderline 6c+)

Kastor at Arhi (borderline 6c+)

Dafni at Ghost Kitchen

Fouska at Odyssey
short, powerful, easy if you can jam...)

Morgan Woods 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Here is my list of 33 6c+ to 7a+accumulated over the years and downloaded from my log:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApETGNtMK0HFdGFQTFR0WHRLX2ZRbX...

Kalydna and Panorama would be my pick of the areas.....enjoy!
 carl dawson 29 Sep 2013
Well, you won’t be doing much on-sighting at Kaly at the moment; there’s so many people on the routes this autumn, you’re bound to have gathered some beta whilst in the queue. However, here’s my own favourite 30 or so 7a routes with some clues as to whether they are onsight-able and also which might be quieter. Don’t read on if you are a real purist.

At Kastri, you might get a bit of peace so after you’ve done the delightful Principessa Guilia (6c+), you might give the adjacent Majestic (7a+) a go because if you finish at the Principessa lower-off, it’s ‘only’ 7a yet still very worthwhile.

If you can cope with the walk to Sikati, then you can terrify yourself on Lolita (7a)… not technically hard, and with a bolt every time you really need it; just don’t make ANY mistakes on the in-betweeny section. Whilst on the east of the island, you could also try Flipper (7a) at Palionissos Red Wall which is rather neat even though it’s neighbours are a bit snappy. And just over the ridge, there’s Secret Garden: if you pretend you’ve not got the Sept 2013 update, you can get yourself an easy 7a tick between the twin tufas of Ricounet (now downgrade to 6c+, sush!). Whilst you’re there, climb Melodrama (6c+) which feels likes it’s going to be 7a but isn’t.

Back in the west, there’ll be a big gaggle of scooters below Ghost Kitchen. You might get a quick slot though for Le Mythe de la Caverne (easy 7a), a route which gives you time to think before the hard sections. The other 7a routes here, Thimari and Ioli, may well have queues.

It’ll probably be much quieter up at Galatiani (most climbers don’t seem to like a 40 minute approach) but K44, though short, is very pleasant. Much more spooky is Feurdon (because 7a routes just don’t cross routes of that size!) but, if you can get on to the roof, just ‘believe’ and you’ll be OK. Honest.

Arhi is currently competing with Ghost Kitchen for scooter parking, and there’s certain to be someone on the short but classic Kastor (easy 7a). I would say that if you’re wall-trained somewhere steep like Leeds Wall you’ll blast it… but I have heard that something has come off this recently and I’ve not been to see for myself yet. If you’re short, also try Mofeta – your lack of reach will top up the guidebook grade from 6c+ to 7a quite easily. At nearby Arginonta, Red Sea Secrets (7a) is the best of the grade there although I have seen a short person reverse this headfirst because they couldn’t reach the crucial clip.

If it’s a hot day, take the afternoon shadows to Magoulia’s Wall and tick Toni quickly before it’s downgraded to 6c+. Nice route but with only one hard, well-protected move… a good first 7a for the boulderer. However if you CAN climb in the full sun, get some quiet up at North Cape where Funatiker is well worth the walk. I know the guidebook says 7a+ but as long as you can sort out the low crux, the rest is a certain on-sight. (PS be careful of some of the other routes at North Cape, there may still be a few routes with the ‘suspect’ bolts.. check careful on the new routes supplement on climbkalymnos.com where they are highlighted).

Odyssey has surprisingly few 7a routes. Again, unless you’ve been on those steep indoor walls, Calypso will be worth more than the guidebook grade: those falling from the last move tend to shout “7a”. Ditto it’s neighbour Dionysis.

It’s a bit like mountaineering to get there, but do try the very characterful Biloute (7a) at Olympic Wall. But if the walk is too much, divert rightwards to Iliada for the very worthwhile Nestoras (7a). If you’re feeling twitchy about this, shut your eyes whilst someone goes up first and puts on a few long clips. Don’t try Calliope at Muses though, not if you’re after on-sights!

Up high at Jurassic, there’s not much at 7a. I would though recommend to you Pegasus (6c+/7a) which would have an enormous queue if it was at one of the lower crags (and it’s far better than nearby Nike at a similar grade).

At Spartacus, many of the routes are getting battered so try and give this crag a rest (…it came equipped with bad music the other week, never mind the polish). If you do go, I wouldn’t blame you for being tempted by the old classic Kerveros (7a) though it would be better for the rock if you didn’t. Ditto, DNA (7a) round at Grand Grotta. Despite its new (repositioned )bolts, it still could be anywhere between 6c+ and 7a+; anyway you won’t get on it until November as there’s a queue all the way down to the Philoxenia Hotel.

Trella (7a) also in the Grande Grotta is just huge; don’t blow the onsight by using quickdraws that are too short… I nearly did and the drag made me feel like 200 kilos. Nearby Cigarillo is also a good 7a especially if you like the full rounded tufa experience. The other end of Panorama is a different kettle of fish with superb routes like Steinpilz and Chnosi Family (both 7a) offering very long, less steep but more technical and varied climbing.

Travelling along the escarpment to the right, the big orange wall of Kalydna has the rather old school Ixion (7a) which reminds me somehow of British limestone: I’d much rather go on Nickel, just right which, although given 7a+, is longer but no more technical. Give it a go; fabulous climbing, but no escaping left at the top… ignore the cheat’s chalk!

Iannis stays in the shadow ‘til late (one of the few Kaly crags where you can have a lie-in!). Unfortunately Attitude (7a) is getting a bit polished and, anyway, it’s quite tricky to on-sight… give it a go on a cool day with low humidity. More delectable is the very very long Sens Unique which is better suited to the onsight as long as you don’t run out of imaginative solutions. And if you like the style, try its neighbor Verikoko (7a+) which actually isn’t that much harder.

Near to the village, on Zeus, Mad Dad and Callisto are very worthwhile (at 6c+) though, it you are short, you deserve 7a for the Callisto crux.

Finally, if you take the boat trip to Telendos, you might give Kyprios Angel (7a in the guidebook) a try at Irox. Be pleasantly surprised if you on-sight this, as most people seem to think 7a+ is nearer the mark. If you blow it, make sure you do its neighbour, Helvetx (6c+) as the positions are just as good.
 Enty 29 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe:

How do these Kaly 7a's compare in difficulty to 7a's at St Leger or Haut Provence in general?

Cheers,

E
 carl dawson 29 Sep 2013
Hi Enty,

I think you'll find the Kaly 7a's a touch easier than around Buis, although I've not done enough of the St Leger routes to be certain. Again, Baume Rousse felt just a touch harder. I wouldn't like to say about the rest of Haute Provence as it's been a long time and I don't believe that the memory of exact comparisons of grades lasts that long. However, last summer I had a day at Orpierre and the 7a I did wasn't much different to Kaly. This summer I popped in at Simplon Dorf (Switzerland) and again, this was only just a touch harder than Kaly at the 7a level.

Nowadays, the upper Kalymnos grades (upper 7s/lower 8s) seem to be not dissimilar to those found in many places in Spain. For example, I've been recently on the new stuff at Loriguilla (Chulilla) and found it, if anything, slightly easier than Kalymnos. Another direct comparison from recent memory: the last UK crag I climbed at this summer before coming out here to Kaly was Trollers Ghyll (Yorkshire) and the Trollers Ghyll 7b+ felt easier than some of the 7b+s I've done this summer here in Kaly. The Yorkshire 7a/7a+s were however perhaps slightly tougher.

So, many of the legendary Kaly soft touches have been downgraded and, although they are still a little erratic here and there, the F7s now seem to have settled along a 'slightly-easy', but not 'silly-easy' spectrum.

The easier Kalymnos routes (F5s) remain soft touches though.

See you out here soon!
Carl
OP Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 30 Sep 2013
In reply to carl dawson:

Hi Carl

Thanks for the detailed reply.
 GrahamGiles 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Kastor 7a - Arhi: Easy onsight
Thimari 7a+ - The Ghost Kitchen: Pumpy but rests when you need them
Elefantenhimmel 7a - Grande Grotta: Easy till the last move
Zorba's Restaurant 7a+ - Pescator: Short, bold and a little soft
Dionysos 7a - Odyssey: Hardest to onsight out of these
Calipso 7a - Odyssey: Amazing steep overhang climbing on jugs
 carl dawson 01 Oct 2013
Just to counter the impression that I'd given higher up this post that Kalymnos is currently heaving with climbers: yesterday, Ruth and I climbed at Galatiani from 8 til 1 (when the sun arrived) at a totally empty crag. So, a major crag with some world quality routes up to 8a+, only 30 minutes from the road, at the height of the main climbing season... and it was deserted.

So if anyone says to you: don't go to Kalymnos because you'll have to queue... don't believe them.
 pauljackson 01 Oct 2013
In reply to carl dawson: Totally agree. We are climbing on Kalymnos now and have found no problems. Its fantastic as always!
 Robert Durran 01 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Steve Crowe)
>
> How do these Kaly 7a's compare in difficulty to 7a's at St Leger or Haut Provence in general?

Having been once to Kalymnos and once to St Leger fairly recently, I would say about 2 grades easier (Kalymnos 7a about St Leger 6c), but only perhaps marginally softer than typical Spanish grades.

carl dawson 01 Oct 2013
Which guidebook were you using on your trip to Kalymnos, Robert? I ask because I could give you several examples of routes that have been downgraded from 7c to the current 7a+/7b over the period of the island's development. This may account for the myth, commonly held by people who only visited Kaly in the early days, that the routes there are ridiculously easy for their grade?)
 Robert Durran 01 Oct 2013
In reply to carl dawson:
> Which guidebook were you using on your trip to Kalymnos, Robert? I ask because I could give you several examples of routes that have been downgraded from 7c to the current 7a+/7b over the period of the island's development. This may account for the myth, commonly held by people who only visited Kaly in the early days, that the routes there are ridiculously easy for their grade?)

The most up to date one in April 2012. Using the that, the myth of soft grades seemed unfounded.

Wiley Coyote2 01 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe:

You won't do many today. Just had a Biblical rainstorm. Even my knickers were soaked - and it was not as much fun as some people might imagine!
OP Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 01 Oct 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Thanks for all the suggestions, "my friend" now has enough on his tick list for his two week trip. I hope the crags are drying again, after the deluge.
 andyb211 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe: Stevie Crowbar try The Verger at Odyssey you'll love it xx
OP Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 07 Oct 2013
In reply to andyb211:

The Verger at Odyssey another cracker for "my mates" tick list, thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...