UKC

Willing to rent in Snowdonia, peak district, Lake district etc?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oceannash909 18 Sep 2023

Hi all,

Am currently 18 years old, just out of school and starting Royal Marines Officer training next September. Hence for my year out I am interested in doing a lot of mountaineering, running etc for a few months. Trying to find job opportunities at the moment, and currently have a few in North Wales. However since the prime focus is to get mountain fit, I am looking for anyone maybe with a spare room or a spare house in Snowdonia, peak district, district etc who would be willing to rent to me. Been looking at houses however they are very expensive or are owned by students. If this sounds like something you are interested in we could talk on the phone or get a coffee so can get to know me and make sure i'm not a idiot, and so I know you won't kill me and take all my stuff. Thanks for reading. This is a weird request so I am not expecting too many responses. but appreciate it. Any other ideas I on how to solve my problem I would be happy to listen to as well.

Phil1919 18 Sep 2023
In reply to oceannash909:

YHA worked for me. Residential, like minded people, some great locations, time off during the day.

Traveller 19 Sep 2023

Will email you. 

Albert Tatlock 19 Sep 2023

Consider joining a climbing club which has huts in mountain areas, move around between them and live cheap.

You could also post on North Wales climbers Facebook group. Before I moved to Keswick I put an advert in the Keswick Reminder (local paper) - it worked! 

ExiledScot 19 Sep 2023

Not entirely related, but try to do the civilian mountain leader training course before you go. It'll seem irrelevant for the first 12 months, as it's all military bull$hit and not quite the leadership style they desire etc.. but it's a good start skills wise and you can jump up the ladder quicker once in. As it's job related you'll get priority 1 on all joint service mountaineering courses, as well as access to all the usual marine in house training. There have been a few dual hatted marines with civvy and mil mountain instructor tickets, but not many. Good admin, being organised, when you're tired, it's cold etc.. is a skill in itself that's as beneficial as fitness. 

Top tip, get your feet sorted and don't do all your pre training in military style boots, or run with silly heavy bags. Have your feet scanned and get good inner soles(several pairs). If you think you're fit enough to run with weight just go up steeper hills faster, steady downhill, play the long game, you'll need those knees still after you're 40. 

Post edited at 21:18
OP oceannash909 20 Sep 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

hi yeah, I will definitely take that advice, want to do the Royal Marine Mountain Leader course anyways and the summer ML is something I am looking to do anyways. But I didn't know about the internal thing. Will also check out the insole stuff. Plus I have one of the silly backpacks as well haha, use it very often its just there are a limited amount of hills in Oxfordshire so the mountains should get me more accustomed. 

Babika 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> Consider joining a climbing club which has huts in mountain areas, move around between them and live cheap.

Not a great idea unless the club actually wants a permanent resident!

Good luck with your search - your post is really positive and I'm sure you'll find something  

ExiledScot 20 Sep 2023

The mountain leaders of the MLTC, mountain leader training cadre, are the ones who carry out most of the training in the mountains, climbing and arctic warfare. They'll be anywhere from Sennen cragging, to northern Norway snow holing. The problem or challenge for you is there will be very few officer posts in it, but that just means you have to work harder, turn no opportunity down to gain knowledge, but above all else lead your troops well. 

JPSmith 20 Sep 2023

Hi there. A pal has just sent me this as he spotted it, you remind me of me 15 years ago.

I understand it is difficult to get the gens on your future desired career and find it hard to get time in the hills. I've done all the above and can offer some advice. Just dm me and I'll drop you my number to talk through. 

Otherwise all the very best, it's a life and career you'll never regret doing because of the people you get to meet. Both in the mountains and at work. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...