UKC

Suggestion: a flag for 'not feedback' perhaps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joeruckus 21 Jun 2023

I fully support the idea that people can give 'beta' and/or 'feedback' on a climb, particularly if there are tricky descents or dangerous blocks, dead trees, temporary nests, intermittent dead animals or protection-related knicks and crux-move-related knacks that need might 'need' to be known about. And I see the usefulness of the 'flag beta' red flag, which allows users to identify which feedback comments include beta.

But I wondered whether it might be possible to add a button so that users can also notify ukc that some 'beta' or feedback just isn't either of those things. I see a load of routes where the 'feedback' box is filled with Dear Diary entries. It doesn't upset me in the slightest – people like to put comments in their logbooks and I like it, I get it – but it seems to change the function of a 'feedback' / 'beta' category if it becomes a place where someone tells us about how they felt about pitch 2 and whether it was a warm day.

It's not that I think 'feedback' should only be used for debates about grades or whatever. But a simple 'not feedback just a logbook comment' button might help move some of these things from column A to column B, without which there isn't much point having two different categories of commenting on routes.  Similarly, it might be useful to be able to flag that a piece of time-limited 'feedback' has expired: some dead animals don't hang around, some loose blocks exit, some threads or tat gets cut, some trees give up.

¯_(ツ)_/¯ 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...