UKC

ankle fusion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hymac 05 Mar 2013
anyone had their anklebone fused,what is the positive/negitive points in climbing hillwalking or any orther points to consider?,gratefull for any feedback .
silo 05 Mar 2013
In reply to hymac: It's hard to think of any positives really. If it was me, i would prefer an amputation below the knee and have a good prosthetic limb fitted.

Is this a hypothetical question?
 Andrew Lodge 05 Mar 2013
In reply to hymac: Why does it need fusing? Need more information to give a reasonable answer but there are alternatives.
ylem 06 Mar 2013
Hi, Silo!

Unfortunatly the question is not hypothetical for me (climbin accident some years ago).

Could you describe in breaf (or give some links to read) what are pros. of prosthetic against ankle arthrodesis? And what are its cons. except cosmetica issues.
Kev Shields 06 Mar 2013
In reply to hymac: I'm getting a triple fusion in a few weeks and according to my surgeon here are pros & cons in brief-
Pros- Stop arthritic pain/discomfort in ankle, should help sort alignment problems in knees (excruciating) and hip due to compensating for ankle for 3 years.
Cons- At least a year recovery time and obviously no more ankle movement but Dave Macleod injured his ankle years ago and it hardly moves but he seems to do okay.......
silo 06 Mar 2013
In reply to ylem:Hi yelm
The Double Amputee Who Designs Better Limbs | WBUR & NPR
I found this on yahoo.
OP hymac 06 Mar 2013
thanks for some imput guys,for me it/s simular to kev/s,pain managent also knee,back pain, have had this 16 yrs,pain threshold is getting lower with age?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...