UKC

Antonym Route Names

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 14 Sep 2012
I haven't done it (yet) but from the thread on 'The Mincer' got me thinking about route names that are in total opposition to their style.

Overhanging Bastion has no overhanging climbing on it (although that may change given recent geological activity).

Any others?
 Simon4 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Removed User: A magnificent route, strenuous and sustained, in fine positions, the classic of its grade. E5, 6a, 6a, 5c, 5b.

"Ordinary Route" Gogarth main cliff.
In reply to Removed User:

Charming Crack (Brimham)

(Overhanging Bastion describes the feature correctly, but yes, the climb traverse just above the overhang)
 Kid Spatula 14 Sep 2012

Roof Route at Burgbage South. Not a roof in any way shape or form, in fact a hideous offwidth and an unhelpfully angled slab.
 link 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Kid Spatula:
> (In reply to Hardonicus)
>
> an unhelpfully angled slab.

Like the roof of a house?
 Nic 14 Sep 2012

Isn't there a route somewhere called "Too hard for X", where X is (was?) a famous and really quite good climber (sorry, that's not a very helpful description is it?!).

I think the route is V Diff or something, anyway X (whoever he is) could no doubt p*ss up the route in boxing gloves and roller skates. Is that antonymic enough?

N
 Hat Dude 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Nic:

"Too Hard For Jim Perrin" in the Llanberis Pass; a bit harder than V diff but I think that in the 1988 pass guide, Paul Williams' comment was something like "not true, Jim pissed it"

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=41410

'Smith's Route', on the Ben (Smith failed, Marshall led), and shortly afterwards Marshall's Wall (somewhere else in Glencoe; Marshall failed, Smith led).

Another example of the same phenomenon - Bobby's Groove.

jcm
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Roof Route at Burbage is a beautiful little climb. How can you describe it as 'hideous'?
 Andy Say 14 Sep 2012
Fat Man's Chimney at Black Rocks is not really suitable for fat men.
 Bulls Crack 14 Sep 2012
> I haven't done it (yet) but from the thread on 'The Mincer' got me thinking about route names that are in total opposition to their style.
>
> Overhanging Bastion has no overhanging climbing on it (although that may change given recent geological activity).
>
> Any others?

But isn't the name Mincer totally apposite for the route? ie it minces you
In reply to Removed User: I don't believe that Dinosaur at Gogarth has any dinosaurs on it, nor is it a route for old things generally.

However, in keeping with the reason the name was chosen by those who first climbed it, you will require small brains and a long neck to try it.

T.
Removed User 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack: Indeed, I guess it depends which definition you take!
 Dan Lane 14 Sep 2012

I think there is also a boulder problem at Raven Tor called 'Too Hard for Mark Leach' or something like that isn't there? About V5 or something so I reckon Mark Leach would have been just fine...
 Hooo 14 Sep 2012
Easy Pickings (VS) at Cheddar. Every vote on UKC has it as HVS.
 Dan Lane 14 Sep 2012

Hell Crack at Stanage - i quite enjoyed it!
 Michael Gordon 14 Sep 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I think you mean Smith's Gully on Creag Meagaidh. Smith's Route on the Ben was done by the pair of them during that big week in 1960.
 Michael Gordon 14 Sep 2012

See what state your hands are in after the Mincer!
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
>
> I think you mean Smith's Gully on Creag Meagaidh. Smith's Route on the Ben was done by the pair of them during that big week in 1960.

I think you're right!

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...