UKC

climbing insurance top up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NigelHurst 05 Feb 2019

Off to el chorro for a week and my partner already has basic travel insurance but they won't cover any accidents that happen whilst climbing. is there any top up cover that just covers the climbing activity. I'm getting BMC cover for my side but she doesn't need the whole caboodle just rock and mountains bit - is there any company that covers this

cheers

Post edited at 12:17
 snoop6060 05 Feb 2019
In reply to NigelHurst:

Fairly sure their insurance will be totally invalid if the purpose of the trip is climbing. Not just we won't cover you for the climbing bit. And I doubt any insurance company is going to allow you top up another's policy with extra bits. Wouldn't make sense. So I think they will require a full policy that includes climbing which to be fair for a week in spain is not that much. Or just go uninsured. 

kevin stephens 05 Feb 2019
In reply to NigelHurst:

I don’t believe (correct me if I’m wrong) there is such a thing as the top up insurance that you require, other than adding options to an existing policy.

tmawer 05 Feb 2019
In reply to NigelHurst:

Have a look at "Protectivity". Just used them and one of us has had a climbing related claim which is ongoing and which they have been mostly very helpful with. Don't forget your EHIC card and have it handy with you at all times or there are costs to pay up front if requiring medical care.

matthewbpt 05 Feb 2019
In reply to NigelHurst:

There is indeed such a thing, https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/activity-topup-insurance/ , I bought it once when I had 2 days of climbing on a 2 week holiday and didn't want to buy climbing travel insurance for the full 2 weeks. Disclaimer: I don't know if they are reliable and will actually pay out in the event of an accident.

Martin Bennett 05 Feb 2019
In reply to NigelHurst:

Sportscover Direct will do it, among others. They have full travel policies or "Activity Top Up" policies. An advantage is that you only need to cover the days you're exposed to the risk i.e. not your travelling days. I've often used them but happily never had to claim so can't speak for that but reputation seems pretty good. 

Mind you I reckon that for a week in Spain you may not save much over the BMC 's £40 or so. Comes into its own for longer trips to further destinations really.

Simon Caldwell 05 Feb 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

> Fairly sure their insurance will be totally invalid if the purpose of the trip is climbing

I do';t believe that's correct. My "general" policy excludes accidents while climbing, but not accidents (or anything else) on a trip where you go climbing.

To the OP:

I usually join the Austrian Alpine Club for the insurance, and take out a cheap general policy of other stuff.

OP NigelHurst 07 Feb 2019
In reply to NigelHurst:

Thanks all, i'll look at those

cheers

snoop6060 07 Feb 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Who is this with? I'm keen for such a policy. Does it cover you walking to and from the crag? To be honest on most bolt clipping holidays I've come to realise that my biggest risk of injury is breaking my ankle on the way to the crag.  I seem to fall over repeatedly. 

I have a annual BMC cover but I'm changing it to someone else this year. Everytime I ring them with any sort of query about my cover they just say it's not covered. Minor stuff but I would be a bit wary if all my gear got nicked. I don't think it's covered by the sounds of all the technicalities. You cannot leave it unattended so basically only legitimate claim for stolen gear involves some sort of confrontation. If your car, your tent or an apartment gets broken into, everything is nicked then what happens? Who knows. 

hedgepig 08 Feb 2019
In reply to tmawer:

> Have a look at "Protectivity". Just used them and one of us has had a climbing related claim which is ongoing and which they have been mostly very helpful with. Don't forget your EHIC card and have it handy with you at all times or there are costs to pay up front if requiring medical care.

EHICs will probably not work after March 29 so you do need full medical cover in your travel insurance.

Post edited at 08:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...