UKC

Dewerstone conditions

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 PaulJepson 21 Mar 2024
Thread moved from Rockfax to Rocktalk

Thinking of climbing in Devon on Sunday and forecast looks dryish around Plymouth (though a bit of rain on Saturday). Has anyone climbed at  The Dewerstone recently and it is likely to be worth a visit? Only been once before and it seemed like it might have the potential to be a bit of a wet moss greasefest in a rainy winter but I could be wrong. 

Will probably head to somewhere more exposed on Dartmoor if it's a bad idea. Avoiding Chudleigh at all costs. 

ElChapondo 21 Mar 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

The weather down here has been alright the past couple of days, it usual takes a day or so to dry out on the main face but most of the classics are usually alright the next day.

Phil79 21 Mar 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

"it seemed like it might have the potential to be a bit of a wet moss greasefest in a rainy winter but I could be wrong."

It definitely does! TBH you'll always find a dry line or two, and its been fairly dry this week, but I'd expect the crack lines on the main face to still be seeping. But if you drop you grade expectations, I'm sure you'll be fine.   

Post edited at 14:49
 Tom Last 21 Mar 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

Roads around Dewerstone have been closed recently. Might be up and running again now. Best to check before you go  

Been out on the Moor today and surprisingly dry. Could be different in the woods mind you. 

scope 23 Mar 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

What's wrong with Chudleigh?

iainJ 23 Mar 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

Went last week, no probelms on any of the classics. Couldn't see any seepage but maybe a little green on the main face e1s.

OP PaulJepson 24 Mar 2024
In reply to scope:

I heard it is racist limestone. 

Phil79 28 Mar 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

> I heard it is racist limestone. 

It is very white, so maybe you're on to something.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...