UKC

Dry Grass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 08 Jul 2018

Bloody slippery on steep ground

Misha 08 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

Not just me then! You’d think it would be less slippery...

matt_chan 08 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

When I was a kid we used to go "sledging" on dry grass - using cardboard boxes for sledges. Great fun but a bit painful if you came off.

wercat 08 Jul 2018
In reply to matt_chan:

we used to do that in Flass Vale in Durham in the 1960s- unfortunately the best slope was bottomed by a wire fence into the allotments nearby so could be painful sometimes if you were too enthusiastic.

On a serious note I think some very bad accidents have happened with rockboots on grass

Anti-faff 08 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

The walk off from Park Nab is the most dangerous route at the crag. 

Mark Eddy 08 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

Aye, walked down from Gimmer the other day, sketchy the whole way

bonebag 08 Jul 2018
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Same at the Roaches folks. Been down a couple of times as have the other folk I've been out with.

Michael Hood 08 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

I noticed that today when bouldering, caught me a little by surprise.

In reply to matt_chan:

We did that too, sliding down the verges on the East Lancs road. Happy days...

T.

marktrik 08 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

Yep slippy at windgather rocks, not helped by the fact I was wearing flip flops... 

In reply to John Kelly:

Coming down from Shining Clough on Sunday. Nearly went flying. Felt like I'd stepped on ice not the bit of grass it was!

TobyA 11 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

The ledges at Aldery a couple of weekends ago were like ice - first time I had noticed this phenomenon, but then scrambling down next to the buttresses at Baslow last weekend was just the same. Some one on FB suggested bare feet work ok although I got ticks on me at Baslow, so I think I'll risk the slipping over lymes.

Dave Hewitt 11 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

> Bloody slippery on steep ground

Sure is. Am currently avoiding one or two of the steeper nonstandard ways off the south side of the Ochils, particularly the route (which I've used a lot over the years and have never seen anyone else on, at least not in descent) straight off the end of the Millar Hill slope and down to the  quarry fence, then down to the golf course track. The top bit is very steep cropped grass, and with the quarry just below I'll happily wait until it's rained a few times before going that way again. The top of Catbells also felt quite glassy recently - no danger of falling off down the side, but the trampled grass round the edge of the rocky bit was quite skiddy.

tmawer 11 Jul 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Started sliding on the grass below Iron crag but managed to stop before picked up too much speed by using my poles... Quite a fright! 

OP John Kelly 11 Jul 2018
In reply to tmawer:

Yes, had similar experience there at weekend, felt like moving around a winter crag.

tmawer 11 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

The up side was I rescued a gold rock 4

In reply to tmawer:

Haha, your welcome 

ChrisBrooke 11 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

Funnily enough I slipped over at Gimmer on Saturday. I went a couple of steps ahead to help my wife down a steep bit on the walk in and ironically enough slipped on dry grass while holding her wrist and made her yelp in pain that I'd nearly broken it as I yanked on it to try to stay upright..... chivalry is not dead.....

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Many years ago landed on slim and as it turned out collapsible girlfriend when gear placement failed, saved me from potentially serious injury, no longer together.

In reply to tmawer:

> Started sliding on the grass below Iron crag but managed to stop before picked up too much speed by using my poles... Quite a fright! 

Scary stuff!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...