UKC

First ascent info, Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Bennett 06 Jul 2021

Hello.

I wonder if anyone can tell me where I can find out who recorded the first ascent of Ecstasis at Bla Bheinn?

I have the 1996 SMC guide book Vol 1 and have just noticed it has no FA details. I'm guessing they must be in Vol 2 which I don't have? Can anyone look it up for me please? I can't find the info on-line. I have a vague notion it might have involved Paul Nunn. Most interested to know, and when. Thanks. Martin.

Ecstasis (HVS 5a)

DaveHK 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Martin Bennett:

C.Boulton, P.Nunn, R.Toogood 02/09/72

In reply to DaveHK:

Blimey that was quick, thank you. "Drat" is all I can say - it wasn't in our guide book when we espied it and climbed it (or something very like it) in 1977 and thought it might have been a first, naming it Zigzag.

Dream on eh? 

Thanks again. Martin.

DaveHK 06 Jul 2021

> Blimey that was quick,

I'm at home isolating.  

magma 06 Jul 2021

the first recorded ascent of Blabheinn in 1857 was by this interesting character on rehab: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algernon_Charles_Swinburne

Is the Great Prow basalt like the In Pinn?

In reply to magma:

> Is the Great Prow basalt like the In Pinn?

The bulk of the Red Cuillin is granite I believe, but the bit with The Great Prow must lie just about on the line between granite and gabbro. I'm trying to think back 40 odd years and recall the texture of the rock - and failing! I remember it was a bit loose here and there and a vague feeling of disappointment that, for a "Hard Rock" route the climbing wasn't the best. Great feature to climb though.

Post edited at 11:05
 Andy Moles 07 Jul 2021

Bla Bheinn is not part of the Red Cuillin - the Great Prow is typical 'black' Cuillin, the bulk of it gabbro but shot through with basalt dykes.

In reply to Andy Moles:

Thanks. Yet another misapprehension I've been labouring under. Is there no end to them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...