UKC

How to make knee pads?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 19 Feb 2018

Does anyone know if there are any tutorials on how to make kneepads? Seems like climbing shops don't sell them and I imagine they're probably overpriced if they do.

I've heard using thin sticky rubber is the best material but I've no idea where to obtain such stuff. I don't particularly want to send away as it probably won't arrive before I go away on a trip that I want them for.

Any other ideas on this appreciated.

Thanks

kwoods 19 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

I made a round 'panel' out of gaffa tape (with some thickness in it), then stuck that to my jeans with gaffa tape. Works quite well! Might sound bloody obvious, but it's cheap and works for me.

Larefia 19 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

You can get Volleyball Knee pads for £6.50 from Decathalon. Even if you factor in a roll of Gaffa tape to ruggedise them they would still work out fairly cheap?

petegunn 19 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

A friend of mine has one made from an old Velcro climbing shoe, somehow cut away most of the shoe leaving the straps and sole. 

Think he needed to stitch on longer straps, so some needle work needed.

It works well.

Dan Arkle 19 Feb 2018

In reply to:

Old mountain bike inner tubes work ok, just  cut into strips like a bandage, wrap round a few times and tie. 

SGD 19 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

I had been thinking the same thing myself.

My plan was to cut up an old welly and then superglue or resin on a couple of velcro straps.

Not sure if I'm going to get time to try it myself as I have imminent plans myself but was going to give it a go for my next trip??

Stone Idle 19 Feb 2018
In reply to stp: Try a caving shop like Bernie’s in Ingleton

DDDD 19 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

I used a cheap knee brace from Decathlon with a couple of Velcro straps sewed and glued on. I then glued on the rubber from an old climbing shoe. Works great. Evo stik contact adhesive is the go.

Smythson 20 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

Have a look at d3o armour. You can get sheets or samples in varying thicknesses.

If you can spring for them knox make all day comfortable motorcycle knee pads.

Best,

S

Ciro 20 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

You can also just put a thick layer of rubbery glue onto a cheap velcro knee brace. Probably not as sticky as a climbing shoe sole but you can make a large, even contact area, and it's less restrictive behind the knee than the 5.10 neon (which is the only commercial pad I've used to compare with).

LeeWood 20 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

Is this for knee-bars or gardening ?

I buy work trousers which have have a spacious knee-pad pocket - you can insert any materials available. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...