UKC

Local knowledge needed - dry rock around Bristol?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Euan Todd 26 May 2018

Asking more in hope than expectation, but does anyone reckon much in the Bristol area will be dry this weekend/bank holiday?  

I went to Brean the other day for the first time - apparently that can be warm/dry when nothing else is?  Or am I just being too optimistic, and should I resign myself to a UCR sesh and a pint in the Miner's afterwards?  (it's not all bad).

Any tips/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Euan

Jim blackford 26 May 2018
In reply to Euan Todd:

Wyndcliff quarry? i managed to climb dry routes there in the rain yesterday. Across the river Wintours looked good too.

Think brean is probably best

Post edited at 09:51
 Fakey Rocks 26 May 2018
In reply to Euan Todd:

Monday is looking good several places.

Today,  Brean looking pretty iffy, Cheddar (North side only allowed  for the next 10 days) looks a better option than Brean this aft, it could be dry but there'll probably  be seepage on some parts. Avon trad n sport should have options without having to travel far if u live in the city.

Brean good wev window is opening up again.... 

Post edited at 10:11
 tombeasley 26 May 2018
In reply to Euan Todd:

Much of Ban y Gor can be climbed in the wet, even rain!

Paz 26 May 2018

It's generally so warm at the moment that little bits of rain forecasted don't matter as much.  Stuff at Cheddar like Pride Evans Cliff and The Wave could be fine.  Anything at Avon is worth a look anyway, as you can usually just sit out showers in the car, pick a route that stays dry, or one that will flash dry.  If Upper Wall is to cold, there's a lot more sport now, e.g. in the New Quarry.  Leigh Woods Quarry 3 sport will probably be OK but it's a bigger walk. There are shelters to sit out rain.  Quarry 2's overhanging wall (Evil Edna etc. ) might be a good shout but I've not been.  Q5 would ordinarily be fine but it's banned until 30th June as the Main Wall Peregrines have moved there.  Also the ticks are probably out in Leigh Woods by now until October ish.

Little Grey Wall at Frome Valley was dry a few weeks ago and does stay dry in showers.  Much of Large Grey Wall was still drying but Hubble and a few others are probably OK.  Bourton Combe is probably fine.

The bottom of Wintour's leap (North Wall and GO wall) can be surprisingly sheltered too. Shornecliffe can stay dry in light showers this time of year, as can Owl Rock at Goblin Combe, and I suspect Wyndcliffe itself for more full on trad. 

OP Euan Todd 28 May 2018
In reply to all:

Cheers folks, it wasn't the washout I'd feared.  Got out to Avon Gorge and Goblin Combe, most stuff was pretty dry!  Should stay that way for tomorrow too - happy climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...