UKC

Oread club hut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baz P 15 Mar 2024

The Oread had a club hut under Chatsworth Edge which is now under renovation with loads of scaffolding. Does anyone know if it is still owned by the club or even if the club is still going?

spenser 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Baz P:

I was on a meet with the club 2 weeks ago, fairly healthy level of activity, the club is still leasing Heathy Lea from the Chatsworth estate. 

I haven't been recently, but I suspect that the scaffolding is actually on the Severn Trent building next door (an old pumping house) as the state of the roof was threatening cars parked at the front of the hut at one point (hopefully no longer!).

midgen 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Baz P:

Yes the club is still active and the scaffolding is on the Severn Trent building adjacent. 

Rob Exile Ward 16 Mar 2024
In reply to midgen:

I hope the sanitary arrangements have improved a bit since the 80s. Or fo you still empty the elsan into an open pit in the woods? 🙁

David Bowler 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Baz P:

I stayed at the hut last weekend. Slightly less parking available due to the works next door but free hard hats to wear in case of falling objects!

midgen 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

There is a flushing toilet and the shower is fine as long as you don't mind sharing with several hundred spiders  

Chrisjw 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Baz P:

ST Water are replacing the roof and floor of their adjacent pumping station. They are going to clear up all their debris around the building and leave it in a good state. The contract ends around June.

The Oread hut, Heathy Lea, was renovated some years ago, with new bunks and mattresses, indoor toilet and shower (which should be clean and spider free!) and new furniture. 

The barn, used as overflow accommodation, was damaged when the STW roof fell in. The damage has been repaired. Outside the drive has had layers of mud removed. The outside toilet still works. 

Waste water goes to a holding tank that is emptied by tanker when required. Overall the hut is in a good state and represents excellent cost effective accommodation in the heart of the Peak District.

It can be booked online through the club website www.oread.co.uk. The club has about 180 members.

spenser 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Considerably, we now have an indoor loo and the old outdoor one (that gets a bit cold in winter for obvious reasons!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...