UKC

Possible to link Grooved Arete and Direct Route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DrJP 10 Apr 2019

Just wondering what people thought about trying to link up Grooved Arete, Tryfan and Direct Route, Glyder Fach.

Me and a buddy have completed quite a few multipitches together and are looking for a big day out..

Haven't completed anything quite as long as GA so unsure on timing. No soloing.

In reply to DrJP:

> Just wondering what people thought about trying to link up Grooved Arete, Tryfan and Direct Route, Glyder Fach.

> Me and a buddy have completed quite a few multipitches together and are looking for a big day out..

> Haven't completed anything quite as long as GA so unsure on timing. No soloing.

Grooved Arete is very easy , the only thing your likely to be held up on is other groups. 

In reply to DrJP:

Of course it's possible.  You'd be best off climbing with rucksacks.  That wouldn't be an issue on Grooved Arete but the extra weight might be tiresome on the hand traverse pitch of the Direct Route, so take double ropes so you have the option of pulling them up if you need it.  Also climbing with rucksacks would mean you could finish by walking off over the summit of Glyder Fach and then down either Bristly Ridge or the Gribin to make an excellent alpinesque day of it, and avoid the descent gully on Glyder Fach which I remember as a tiresome thing.

T.

joe.91 10 Apr 2019
In reply to DrJP:

We did a good one, Milestone buttress top out walk over to the east face, run down Tryfan and across to Cneifion Arete then up to the top of the Glyder and around down to the base of idwal for another route,

In reply to joe.91:

That sounds a far better combination. Though I think you'd have to be pretty keen to set off up the Idwal Slabs at the end of the day after that lot...

NathanP 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Grooved Arete is very easy , the only thing your likely to be held up on is other groups. 

Doesn't that depend on where HVD sits in your climbing range?

In reply to NathanP:

Although it means some initial scruffy scrambling up the north buttress, I think any route on the Terrace Wall is better than anything else on the East Face.

In reply to NathanP:

> Doesn't that depend on where HVD sits in your climbing range?

If you want to be pedantic about it yes.

However from my experience , anyone serious enough about climbing and that has experience multipitching are going to find it very easy,  horribly polished in places and like a motorway with so much traffic.

Also looking at the poster Jacks log book I can see he's climbed VS 5a recently so I don't see any issues.

ChrisBrooke 10 Apr 2019
In reply to DrJP:

You didn't ask for it, but there's lots of link-up inspiration here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/snowdonia_in_chains-435

nawface 10 Apr 2019
In reply to DrJP:

Idwal Slabs, then a cross to central Arete.  Can drop down from that to Cneifion Arete after if you fancy

Simon Caldwell 10 Apr 2019
In reply to DrJP:

Another good day is a route on the east face of Bristly Ridge, followed by a route on the east face of Tryfan (or vice versa, but you're less likely to find queues on Tryfan if you leave it until later in the day)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...