UKC

RNLI called to Berry Head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimbingAlex 11 Aug 2020

I had the RNLI called on me by a good Samaritan yesterday whilst DWSing at Berry Head.

I'd jumped in and swam through the final grotto as there wasn't enough water to finish magical mystery tour. I climbed back up onto the headland and made my way back to the gearing up ledge and saw the boat appear about 10 minutes later. Scrambled down and spoke to the crew and it became apparent they had been tasked to look for me! I was climbing by myself but there were 5 other climbers around the Rainbow bridge sector too. 

I hadn't phoned the coastguard prior to heading down as I had assumed (perhaps wrongly) they'd know there were climbers at BH in August but speaking with the crew they didn't seem to know BH was popular for DWS and didn't know the MMT route. Also, the notice on the descent gate has now gone. 

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else and if so, I wondered what might be the best way to help prevent any more unnecessary call outs? I'll be sure to contact them before heading climbing next time!

If any of the boatcrew/coastguard around Torbay are reading this, cheers for having my back and I'll be sure to throw the RNLI some change for looking out for punters like me! 

Berry Head - The Old Redoubt

Post edited at 16:04

ebdon 11 Aug 2020
In reply to ClimbingAlex:

'Wild climbing'...., I suppose it was only a matter of time.

robhorton 12 Aug 2020

Probably worth letting the coastguard know but it's not a guarantee the lifeboat won't get called out unnecessarily - if they get a report someone appears to be in trouble they still need to investigate. We normally let them know when kayaking if we're practicing rescues etc so they can get in touch via VHF if necessary but that's probably not going to work if you're climbing/swimming.

Me and my mate were climbing the sports routes at Brean Down 20 or so years ago.  Each of us would climb the route lower off and move on to the next route. The tide came in but did not affect us and we walked along the ridge to get back to the car park.  As we approached the cafe we noticed Coast Guard, Police and Ambulance vehicles parked up, several of each, and a helicopter flying over head. As we got nearer we got the sense that they were watching us very closely.  On reaching them they came across and asked us for our names and addresses.  We were reluctant to oblige them but were assured that we had not done anything wrong but an elderly lady had phoned to say we were cut off by the tide and struggling to get out. We even made the evening news but true to their word they did not release our names. As is typical with events like this it was misreported and the impression given that we were in some difficulty.

Al

Bulls Crack 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Not the coastguard (although it does flood here quite a lot) but a concerned individual called out the local mountain rescue in Calderdale I think whilst the pair of us were sitting on a ledge chatting. The  climb took some time because it was very dirty but half way up an MRT chap poked his head over the top and asked:

'Are you OK?'.

'Yes thanks'.

'Are you sure?'

'Yes! 

'We've got a rope'.

'I've got 2 thanks!

He left looking disappointed

Cusco 12 Aug 2020

There used to be a big sign on the gate leading down to the gearing up ledge asking you to ring the Coastguard on a number to give your details before doing any DWS in the Rainbow Bridge/Magical Mystery area to seek to avoid call outs following calls by members of the public. Was that sign still there or was there a similar sign nearby?

I can't recall what the Rockfax DWS and new South Devon guides say and don't have them to hand. But I would be surprised if they didn't mention ringing in.

Given the number of members of public walking around Berry Head, the likelihood of calls to the Coastguard and/or RNLI is very high. At least ringing in, giving details of roughly where you'll be, for how long and what you're wearing may help avoid some unnecessary call outs.

Never assume the Coastguard and RNLI know all about the climbing areas and our niche little sport. That's not their primary function. It took them hours to rescue someone who had fallen badly at Sanctuary Wall some years ago, mainly due to a very understandable lack of knowledge about the cliff and the difficulties in evacuating a casualty from 20 feet above its base. 

Donotello 12 Aug 2020

An emergency responder can never, ever, assume something that contradicts what they’ve been called about. Even if the last 1000 calls were people DWS imagine they assumed the 1001th call was a climber and didn’t respond and it wasn’t and they died, be so much to answer for. 

I know the book does state quite clearly to give them a call, I must admit I’ve never done so though, but haven’t done anything major there or in any areas where there are many members of public but I guess it only takes one.  

Post edited at 15:35
OP ClimbingAlex 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Cusco:

The gate has been replaced with a new one & there's no longer that sign in place. There's a BMC notice just before the scramble down to sea level about access agreements but nothing about warning the coastguard. 

Cusco 12 Aug 2020

I've just seen that the UKC crag log book for Berry Head clearly says:

"DWS : The BMC now requests Deep water soloists to phone Brixham Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre before starting on (01803) 882 704. In 2009 climbers have caused a number of false call outs - this creates significant problems for the rescue service and may jepordise future access on the Nature Reserve."

Cusco 12 Aug 2020

I just Googles BMC access database Berry Head and the first thing which came up on my search was this access note for DWS with the number to ring to avoid call call outs - https://www.thebmc.co.uk/berry-head-important-access-info 

Cusco 12 Aug 2020

And here's the link to the BMC access database page for Berry Head itself. Again, very clearly asking DWSers to ring with the number to ring - https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/rad/view.aspx?id=352

Ridge 12 Aug 2020

I'm quite impressed by the people who frequent the Torbay RNLI FB page. 

If that had been posted on any of the Lake District MRT pages there'd be a hundred comments criticising your 'inappropriate' clothing, lack of 'sturdy climbing boots', no rucksac with 3 days worth of food and personal locator beacon and calls to have you fined/imprisoned for 'wasting the time of the emergency services', even though you didn't call them 😃

In reply to Cusco:

A sign on the gate would still seem to be the most appropriate means of getting the message across, though...?

> Each of us would climb the route lower off and move on to the next route

To the uninitiated, I can see that this might appear to be repeated attempts to escape from oncoming tide...

In reply to captain paranoia:

Agreed but it doesn't explain why they sent so many vehicles and staff

Al

Doug 12 Aug 2020

Many, many years ago someone reported seeing lights going up the hillside in Torridon early one winter morning. The rescue sent one guy, I assume someone local, to the Ling Hut where the remaining occupants were just getting up & explained that yes, 3 of the party had left the hut heading for Beinn Eighe very early. The only time I've ever had the rescue called out on my behalf. Seemed a proportionate response.

Cusco 12 Aug 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yep. It appears that works well until the gate is replaced!  Which is why it's posted in all the right places elsewhere.

The OP said "I hadn't phoned the coastguard prior to heading down as I had assumed (perhaps wrongly) they'd know there were climbers at BH in August..."

So he appears to have known about ringing before starting.

Then, oddly, he asks "I wondered what might be the best way to help prevent any more unnecessary call outs? I'll be sure to contact them before heading climbing next time!"

Locals should already know.

Visitors should check local guides, online crag guides, access databases etc to check whether there are any oddities or restrictions about access. That's what I do when I visit new crags in other parts of the country just in case. 

As for Dono's "I know the book does state quite clearly to give them a call, I must admit I’ve never done so though, but haven’t done anything major there or in any areas where there are many members of public but I guess it only takes one", I don't think that's the best approach to avoiding Coastguard/RNLI call outs! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...