UKC

The Popular End ... where were you all?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hemsted 10 Jun 2018

Blake and I climbed at The Popular End yesterday and this morning. Great weather, superb routes, lovely views .... and we had the whole place to ourselves.

So which was this brilliant crag with a Popular End? If you know, don't post the answer ... give a few clues, and keep the Sheffield-O-Centric masses guessing for a bit longer!

In reply to Andy Hemsted:

Somewhere with a road and a descent gully at one end and nothing but 250’ abseils for four miles until the other end?

Not sure where everyone was, but it wasn’t Pembroke - seldom seen it so quiet.

jcm

OP Andy Hemsted 11 Jun 2018

We climbed three excellent HVSs. Two of them were single pitch, and the third was seven pitches....

The long route is surely one of the best HVSs in Britain ... we didn't start from the base of the crag, we didn't finish at the base of the crag, and we were above water all the way.

Deadeye 11 Jun 2018

Dubh loch

Does Ogmore have a popular end?!

jcm

planetmarshall 11 Jun 2018

Somewhere higher and/or north facing or with some shade. Each to their own, but I can't think of many worse places to be than Stanage in that kind of weather.

d_b 11 Jun 2018

Stannington Ruffs?

Rob Naylor 11 Jun 2018

Were you dreaming?

Had to cross a bridge to get there?

FactorXXX 11 Jun 2018
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Does Ogmore have a popular end?!

Certainly sounds like Ogmore from the Route description.
It probably is at the popular end of the crag, but that's probably because only the really mad buggers climb anywhere else...

Deadeye 11 Jun 2018

Swanage

Locals might have been wary of midges yesterday.

Chee Dale was busy.

steveanthony 11 Jun 2018

exposure explosion?

French Erick 11 Jun 2018

when everything is dry, for once you can truly choose where to go. A very nice thing to see people do make the best of those opportunities!

Family weekend for me...so wasn't even at the unpopular venues :[

Simon Caldwell 11 Jun 2018

We were at Stanage yesterday, Crow Chin was heaving but everywhere else (between there and High Neb) as quiet as I've seen it (except when raining). We'd gone expecting to have to decamp to Stoney due to heat and/or midges, but neither were a problem.

No idea what the Popular End was like - popular I expect - but as far as I could tell from that distance, the car park at that end wasn't full.

whenry 11 Jun 2018

They were all at Tirpentwys... absolutely heaving.

Mountain crags if you possibly could. Cooler crags otherwise. You can climb on Stanage in the middle of winter if the sun and wind cooperate. Wimberry, Shining clough?

eb202 11 Jun 2018

Standing Stones on Saturday and then Wimberry on Sunday. It was worth the effort, and Wimberry would benefit from more visitors  

OP Andy Hemsted 11 Jun 2018

Full Marks to johncoxmysteriously, FactorXXX and steveanthony ... Ogmore was beautiful, deserted, and there were no midges.

Exposure Explosion is such a super adventure that there should be a queue for it ... but there never will be, as Ogmore isn't featured in any of the 'Selected Climbs' guidebooks. For my money, the route's considerably more difficult and intimidating than Dream of White Horses.

FactorXXX 11 Jun 2018

> Full Marks to johncoxmysteriously, FactorXXX and steveanthony ... Ogmore was beautiful, deserted, and there were no midges.

Ogmore was one of the first crags to be derestricted during the Foot & Mouth epidemic and came to be a bit like St Govan's on a Bank Holiday weekend.
Unfortunately, the 'uniqueness' of Ogmore caught a fair few out...

jezb1 11 Jun 2018

> Exposure Explosion is such a super adventure that there should be a queue for it ... 

Must admit, I was a bit underwhelmed when I did EE...

Chris Ebbutt 11 Jun 2018
In reply to jezb1:

Have to defend Exposure Explosion, best route for me last year, the climbing, positions, route finding and company were outstanding. One of the best sea cliff adventures at the grade, not to be missed.

Chris

GrahamD 12 Jun 2018
In reply to Chris Ebbutt:

Its been a long time since I did it but I vaguely recall managing to extend Exposure Explosion by tacking on one of the HVS from sea level at the start.

OP Andy Hemsted 12 Jun 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

You could do the first half of Pinocchio to get onto EE, but we preferred the unusual nature of descending from the top of the cliff to the first stance, with the sea up at the base of the cliff.

The sea was quite calm on Saturday ... EE would be another level of commitment and excitement with big waves coming in....

GrahamD 12 Jun 2018

I think we did a bit of a loop, so we did Pinocchio nearly to the top then looped directly back down to EE without topping out.  I remember it being a great outing.

OP Andy Hemsted 12 Jun 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Yes, a loop would give the lovely airy traverse at the end of Pinocchio, and then the descent down the crack/chimney to EE.

There must be other good combinations of traverses/downclimbs/normal routes out there, perhaps above the sea in Pembroke, Devon or Dorset. Best saved for a quiet day on a deserted crag (with a rough sea?), probably!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...