UKC

The Very Unofficial Chee Tor Revival: Sat 30 Jun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

There's been a bit of talk about this over on the Cleaned up Peak Limestone Routes thread, but I thought I'd post separately just to draw a little more attention to it.

There'll be a few of us heading to Chee Tor on Saturday (30th June) to replace any threads that might need replacing, dust and holds that need dusting, and give any routes that are in need of some TLC some love. I'll be bringing a load of static, plus a selection of rings, and - most important of all - some biscuits and tea making facilities.

Time-wise I reckon we'll be gathering around 10am, maybe a little before, as I'm conscious that the sun is a force to be reckoned with right now.

I'm also hoping to get some photos for a forthcoming destination article, so bring your bright clothes!

Hopefully see you there.

Toby 28 Jun 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I'm keen to join this but missing a partner, anyone in a similar boat?

In reply to Toby:

Hi Toby

There should be plenty of people there. I am going on my own as well but I am also taking photos, however I am sure we will have enough people to hold ropes.

Alan

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 28 Jun 2018

Has anyone pencilled in the removal of the doom tree at the left hand side? 

In reply to JamieSparkes:

>  Has anyone pencilled in the removal of the doom tree at the left hand side? 

Yes I noticed that the other weekend. Apparently it has been there for two years at leats but it is very scary. It is also huge so I doubt if we will have the expertise to do anything about it. Could do with a tree surgeon type having a look really.

Alan

Tigger 28 Jun 2018

I think we may be in the area so will drop in if we can. Any extra tools or equipment required?

In reply to JamieSparkes:

Anything this major would need to be approved by the landowner, Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, and from previous experience gaining such consent would be extremely unlikely - as such we might have to wait for a windy day!

In reply to Tigger:

Aside from a soft brush I think we’ll be fine. Thanks for the offer though. See you there!

Yeomy 28 Jun 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Am not around this weekend but I'll drop by at some point and have a look at this tree. 

RogerG 28 Jun 2018

Rob,

sorry I'm away this weekend but thanks in advance for all your work at one of my favourite crags. looking forward to enjoying the fruits of your labour.

cheers

Sam B 28 Jun 2018

I hate to be cheeky, but I've got more enthusiasm for the clean-up than I've got working gearboxes atm. Is there anyone who could give me a lift in from Sheffield for this?

Simon King 29 Jun 2018

While you're there, take a look/be aware of the 'hanging tree' left of the top of Two Sunspots (see crag picture in Peak Limestone). It's been there for years but could do serious damage if it came down. Perhaps some pulic spirited types could lasso it and drag it down?

Jon Stewart 29 Jun 2018

Great idea. Can't be there, but thanks for organising. One of my favourites and the TLC will do the place a world of good. 

In reply to Simon King:

That's the evocatively named 'death tree' mentioned above.

Whilst we can't necessarily do anything about it without talking to Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, we can certainly start the conversation - or just take a look at what might be involved. As Alan has suggested, it's hanging in there by a slender thread/root and the prospect of it coming down whilst someone is underneath it is highly undesirable (it's bad enough abseiling near it)!

planetmarshall 29 Jun 2018

> Whilst we can't necessarily do anything about it without talking to Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, we can certainly start the conversation - or just take a look at what might be involved.

Just let Sheffield City Council know that it's there - they'll have it down like a shot.

TobyA 29 Jun 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

I thought they only wanted to kill the live ones?

Is there anything at 6b or easier in Cheedale? I haven't been for ages, mainly due to being embarrassingly bad at climbing , but if there's a 'classic VS' or a 6a I could get a belay on, I should come down and help out tomorrow too.

In reply to TobyA:

> Is there anything at 6b or easier in Cheedale? I haven't been for ages, mainly due to being embarrassingly bad at climbing , but if there's a 'classic VS' or a 6a I could get a belay on, I should come down and help out tomorrow too.

It is trad only at Chee Tor (well in the lower grades at least).

Some great E1s, and a Classic Rock VS girdle although you won't be thanked for doing that on a busy day. Having said that, it is above most of the other routes.

Alan

TobyA 30 Jun 2018

Well done for coming up with the idea Rob.

The Chopper (VS 5a) is now looking rather smart after Sam's heroic onsight gardening ascent. We also battered down all the nettles so its very easy to get started on it now without getting stung. The crux moves are I thought quite tough for 5a and you have to get above your gear while doing them. Anyone know how it ended up as VS 5a and not HVS? Maybe it's always just been that way, although it still seems too hard for VS. Gulle Gulle Groove (VS 4c), which I led, was pretty straight forward in comparison.

Tigger 01 Jul 2018

The lincoln crew can take credit for Goal of the Month (thought it was E2!!!!) Got it in the end but it was very spicy between the two threads. We unfortunately can't take credit for 42nd Street, thanks to whoever did it though as I can't wait to have a go. I did however brush down as much of 'Match of the Day' as my ab line would allow, however a little more traffic would bring it up a treat.

Post edited at 19:56
 RogerG 03 Jul 2018

Thanks again to everyone for your hard work. We did Goal of the Month on Monday - mint. Chris did

Ceramic plus the Extension so all pretty clean (little bit of veg on the easier lower section) then I properly cleaned and repeated:

Approaching - all mint and cracks clean for kit.

cheers

In reply to RogerG:

For some reason I missed this message, I only just got round to doing Ceramic Extension today - it really is up there with one of the best E5s I've ever done.

We followed this with one of the hardest E5s I've ever done, No match for climb id:12167, which has kindly been restored to a climbable state by Simon Cundy. It realistically weighs in at E5 6c, probably around 7b+ in new money, and deserves every one of the 3 stars it got in the old BMC guide. There's a new bolt beside the 32 year old drilled/cemented peg (!!) and all the threads have been replaced. There's even chalk on it, so now is very much the time!

If you need any beta drop me a line.

Good luck!

Mark Lloyd 17 Jul 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Yes I noticed that the other weekend. Apparently it has been there for two years at leats but it is very scary. It is also huge so I doubt if we will have the expertise to do anything about it. Could do with a tree surgeon type having a look really.

> Alan

Sounds like a job for Pete Whittacker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...