UKC

worth climbing on scottish inland crags in august

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 islandlynx 12 Jun 2018

Hi All,

I will be spending some time in Scotland in August mostly by the sea on the west coast but was thinking about heading to some mountain crags for some climbing. Lets say on Ben Nevis for example or the shelter stone crag. Will they be so overrun with midges that its juts not fun?

Ta

Shane

Max Hangs 12 Jun 2018
In reply to islandlynx:

You'll be fine as long as there is a breeze/wind. Gets really bad when it's still.

pebblespanker 12 Jun 2018
In reply to islandlynx:

Buy a mozzie hood just in case and bathe in Deet, be prepared to change venues depending on wind direction

CaelanB 12 Jun 2018
In reply to islandlynx:

It's also worth noting that I've been midged on sea cliffs as well. I had some huge clouds of midges on top of me whilst I belayed my mate on tree route at suidhe biorach. Basically, wherever you go at that time of year, you're likely to find midges (though fewer in the east than west). Generally though they can't handle any "extremes" of weather: rain, wind or sun.

pasbury 12 Jun 2018
In reply to islandlynx:

It really isn’t something I’d do through choice. There’s another thread on here about the current midge threat level and it seems pretty high.

Removed User 12 Jun 2018
In reply to islandlynx:

Most days if you go to a crag in Scotland there'll be a breeze and thus no midges. If it is a calm day then check the weather forecast and go somewhere that's a bit exposed.

While being eaten alive is not good the odd bite isn't something that should keep you away from a crag. They won't kill you.

OP islandlynx 13 Jun 2018
In reply to islandlynx:

Thanks everyone. I'll keep a keen eye on the wind when I'm there

Robert Durran 13 Jun 2018
In reply to islandlynx:

I've only very rarely had midge issues on mountain crags. Certainly no more than coastal crags and probably more rarely. Inland outcrops likely to be worst. If you are flexible in venue, midges are not often an issue for actual climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...