UKC

10k/1 hour ish runs around Buxton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robsykes1975 17 Nov 2023

Hi all,

I'll be in Buxton a few evenings each week with a couple of hours to spare. I'm looking for 10-15k/1 - 1.5 hour (ish) runs, starting and finishing in Buxton - ideally Harpur Hill/town centre area?  Ideally trail/path runs rather than on roads.  I'd be very grateful for all and any route suggestions? 

Many thanks! 

Stig 17 Nov 2023
In reply to robsykes1975:

Lots of good running around Buxton, numerous races start there - Buxton half, carnival, high peak 40 etc.

Best option is to look at the map and work out a loop. I would start with, or rather at, Buxton country park, near the Go Ape, aim for Ladmanlow and the path alongside the empty reservoir is pretty good, head for the quiet road at Leap Edge, then the minor road over Axe Edge, then take any of the numerous paths that cross the A54 aiming for the straight road that descends into Burbage. Will be wet underfoot.

Burbage edge itself is worth heading for, then follow the old railway bed to the little reservoir at the top of Bunsal Cob, then you could run back down Long Hill road into Buxton.

Another option would be to run down Cunning Dale, up Cow Dale (very quiet road, steep!, aka Craig y Biceps) , then take the footpath through Staden and under the impressive viaduct.

Yanchik 17 Nov 2023

What he said ^ plus if you can see yourself getting as far as Hollinsclough/Glutton Bridge, any of the routes around/between Parkhouse/Chrome/Hitter hills are worth visiting just to see the shapes. They're attractively pointy and spectacular in a Peaks Miniature kind of way. Could be slick underfoot at this time of year. See if you can get a clear sky/biggish moon assuming you mean the next few weeks ?

Y

Andy Hardy 17 Nov 2023

I use "onthegomaps" for this kind of thing. 5 minutes round Buxton created this https://onthegomap.com/?m=r&u=km&w%5B%5D=Routes+may+not+be+suitable...

Worth a play! (can export gpx files too)

OP robsykes1975 21 Nov 2023
In reply to Stig:

Hey Stig - thanks for the route recommendation - much appreciated.

In reply to Yanchik:

Will take a look over that way - thanks!

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Hi Andy - not seen onthego before but looks good - thank you

JimR 21 Nov 2023

There’s a few options in the Goyte Valley e.g over Shining Tor , but you’ll need a good head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...