UKC

Blister advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 18 May 2014
I very rarely get any blisters when running, however during an ultra yesterday I got a very painful one on the underside of my heel. Ive never had one there before, the shoes arent that new, i had some liner socks on under my thorlos, and there was no crud in the sock/shoe
What could have caused that?
 Bluebird 18 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

The heat causing sweaty feet causing the layers to stick. On an ultra if appropriate/have time, I'd change so is every 20 miles or so?
andymac 18 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Very dry grassland?

Only time I used to get them under the heel like that ,was playing football (actual matches) on rock hard ,baked dry ,summer pitches.
 mbh 18 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Do you wash your socks?

I don't, as often as I should. Part of me getting older and just running loads is that I don't care that much if my kit smells. Who'se going to know (?), and anyway, I can't be washing stuff every day, so I just hang it on the airer in the bathroom or out on the line when I get back, then wash it from time to time. That includes the socks, although I have noticed that I am more likely to get blisters when it is hot, I am going a long way, and my socks haven't been washed for ages. This happpens rarely, but that is when it happens.
 StefanB 18 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Blisters are caused by 3 parameters: heat, friction, humidity. As it's often impossible to remoce all three it's a balancing act.
I find that thinner socks actually work better for me. Definitely no liner socks and then anther layer. A bit of vaseline also helps.
OP The Potato 19 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

thanks for the replies, i also dont wash all my kit but i do wash socks as they get hard if i dont.
i know re hot friction moist i manage those as best possible.
I suspect its from running on hard surfaces as suggested, anyway time to get some new shoes
 wbo 19 May 2014
In reply to ow arm: I don't like the sound of two pairs of socks. That, and two layer anti blister socks have always torn me to shreds. I am a fan of thin socks, particularly the Nike ones.

mbh 19 May 2014
In reply to wbo:

Yes, I have a blister now, having worn a pair of two layer socks a fair few times in the last week or two. I have hardly ever had a blister before, and I normally wear single layer thorlo socks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...