UKC

JK 2024 anyone?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Dave Todd 19 Mar 2024

Any of you orienteers doing the JK this year?

https://www.thejk.org.uk/

I'll be trying hard, but I'm coming back from a badly rolled ankle.  Feeling very under-trained!  I've even signed up for the relay this year (why? - I NEVER do relays!).

Fat Bumbly 2.0 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

I remember Beaudesert from 1981.  A couple of very long hilly runs (both full length back then).  I used to put old maps up on Twitter but closed my account.   The relay that year was in Bishop Wood near Market Drayton an area that has fallen off the fixture lists.

OP Dave Todd 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

Relay this year is on Stanton Moor (which is the main reason I decided to sign up - I really like the area)

I'll be testing my ankle tonight on a midweek event at Redmires.  Fingers are very crossed.

Chris Calow 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

Yes, looking forward to it. Stupidly signed up for the relays as well, like you I like Stanton Moor.

OP Dave Todd 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Chris Calow:

> Stupidly signed up for the relays as well,...

Glad it's not just me that avoids relays (usually!) - I don't know what came over me...

Fat Bumbly 2.0 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

I used to enjoy relays - At JK79 I had no team, and got "signed" by ASUB of Brussels.   Perhaps I should not have bothered - in those days that Haldon (Exeter) map was titled Bramble Brook and did what it said on the tin.   Nice scribed Harvey map BTW.   That year there was only one individual race.

greg_may_ 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

I'll be there, just back from a three month long ankle rehab so it'll be the first real test! 

Not doing relays this year for a change, shame really. 

OP Dave Todd 20 Mar 2024
In reply to greg_may_:

I'm just back from a midweek SYO event at Redmires and by complete coincidence was parked next to a couple who are helping to organise the JK relays on Stanton Moor.  They were a bit worried about where to park 190+ camper vans...

OP Dave Todd 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

Good luck tomorrow with the sprints!

I'm feeling particularly under-prepared.  Just looked at Routegadget from 2019... complex, complex, complex... lots of scope for errors.  Fingers crossed...

greg_may_ 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

Spent an hour or so with the last few events from sprint map last night. Agree, more complex than most urban terrain. 
more worried about the 7 year old who has declared “today I’m running on my own…” having never done an urban event solo before

she’ll be fine in the forest though. Much more straight forward!

Post edited at 08:20
 greg_may_ 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

Well that was crap…. Brain was having none of it. Managed to forget I’d punched a control and went back to it. Total disaster.

saying that, last time I did an urban event was the 6 Day last year… so that may be part of it

back to some normal forest tomorrow.

OP Dave Todd 29 Mar 2024
In reply to greg_may_:

Ah, grim!  Any little mistakes make you plummet through the field on a sprint.

I had a minor (or so I thought...) mistake on #10 (course 7) and dropped from 25th to 47th...oops.  Clawed my way back up a bit by the end, but the damage was done.

Mind you, almost everyone seemed to have a wobble somewhere on their course.

Did mini-May enjoy themselves?

OP Dave Todd 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

Shoot, rolled ankle 2/3 round the Middle today, had to retire.  That's my JK over...

greg_may_ 01 Apr 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

Aye, she did well. Bit of a mare on the middle for her, but she enjoy the long (which was shorter than middle) 

I had a terrible day on the middle, was really tentative on my ankle and never got going. Long was better as I actually ran for a lot of it.

greg_may_ 01 Apr 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

Terrain wasn’t the most conducive to ankle safety in a lot of areas. Hope it’s not too bad and heals well!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...