UKC

MP3 player for running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 08 Feb 2021

It seems my dinky MP3 player that I use for running (Archos Clipper) has died, so I'm in the market for a replacement and would appreciate some suggestions.

I liked this one particularly, as it was easy to carry in my hand (smaller than a matchbox) and had nice, big, buttons that were easy to use while running, even with gloves on, but seems no longer available.

I'm after something similar. I only need an MP3 player (not really interested in it having a radio), would be handy if it was waterproof and battery live of a few hours.

Definitely NOT interested in any suggestions of an old iPod!

Thanks in advance.

afx22 08 Feb 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I think discrete MP3 players have just about died a death.  Most people use their phones.

I use a Salomon Pulse belt to carry my phone and my keys.

artif 08 Feb 2021

How about the Garmin etc watches with mp3 built in

cambromo 08 Feb 2021

FiiO M5, probably, most touchscreens recognize gloves these days anyway.

TobyA 08 Feb 2021

> Definitely NOT interested in any suggestions of an old iPod! 

Good, I just replaced my suddenly defunct iPod nano something with an identical one for 15 quid off eBay. The fewer people who bid on them the better for me! 😆

It's podcasts for me as opposed to music, but otherwise i use it in a very similar way, when I'm out and about on my own, although that's more often bike than walking, and I try my best to avoid running! 😉

Post edited at 13:24
Plasynant 08 Feb 2021

I have a Sony NW-A55 L. Bought it last November and it’s excellent for Running. Solid build quality And waterproof. 

Dog Dave 08 Feb 2021

I use Sony Walkman NW WS 13 - everything is contained in the earpieces so nothing to hold and no cables to tangle. It’s rated waterproof enough for swimming (although I couldn’t get used to swimming with music on - don’t   know why)

good battery life and has a handy feature that can somehow play background noise over the music so you can hear when you are about to get wiped out by a cyclist or car driver.

not the cheapest but I have found well worth the cost 

PPP 08 Feb 2021
In reply to afx22:

> I think discrete MP3 players have just about died a death.  Most people use their phones.

> I use a Salomon Pulse belt to carry my phone and my keys.

DAPs (Digital Audio Players) still exist but it’s a niche market for sure. 

Saying that, I agree on recommendation for a Bluetooth enabled watch or phone with wireless earbuds. I personally use iPhone 12 mini that’s made for human hands and AirPods Pro. 

deepsoup 08 Feb 2021

MP3 players with buttons do still seem to exist.
eg. This any good to you?
[Edit] Oops - not allowed to post a fleabay link. Item number 193882486732.

I'm pretty sure I still have a laughably obsolete 256kB USB dongle type thing kicking about somewhere (which originally cost about a tenner in Tescos).  Yours for nowt in the unlikely event it's any good to you, assuming I can actually find it. 
(Email me an address if so and I'll bung it in the post.)

OP LastBoyScout 08 Feb 2021
In reply to all:

Thought about using my phone, but my phone is a quite big for a start and I also like it to be hand-held with decent size buttons for skipping around tracks, according to mood.

Same with the suggestions of the Garmin watch and the ear pieces, but thanks for the thoughts.

Adam Perrett 08 Feb 2021

I used to have an Archos Clipper but now have a 'Sandisk clip sport'.

A similar product with crazy long battery life. I use mine twice a day on the short walk to work and three runs a week, and I charge it about once a month. Wired headphones are much better for battery life than these arty-farty wireless ones.

Easy to drag-n-drop mp3's via Windows rather than needing itunes etc.

I hope that helps.

OP LastBoyScout 08 Feb 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes, that's the sort of thing I had in mind.

Thanks for the offer, but 256Kb is a bit small - I'm after more like min 2Gb.

Pina 08 Feb 2021

I've got a mighty which is pretty nifty. Connects to Bluetooth headphones which is handy and can preload Spotify playlists to it.

OP LastBoyScout 09 Feb 2021
In reply to Pina:

> I've got a mighty which is pretty nifty. Connects to Bluetooth headphones which is handy and can preload Spotify playlists to it.

Looks like the sort of thing - I assume you can just sync MP3 files across? I don't use Spotify or Amazon music.

Edit - from reviews, it looks like you HAVE to use Spotify/Amazon Music with it, so that one's out. Shame, as it otherwise gets good reviews and is waterproof.

Post edited at 09:56
 Angrypenguin 10 Feb 2021

Another vote for the sansa clip, I've been using a couple of generations of it for running for many years, both still work fine. I got a second after I lost the first and then it reappeared so now I have a backup! 

OP LastBoyScout 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Angrypenguin:

Thanks - that's looking favourite at the moment.

Seems to be about 4 versions of it, though - Clip Sport Plus seems to be the water resistant one.

Post edited at 13:11
 Herdwickmatt 10 Feb 2021

Brilliant, that's what I'm after as well. I've just got some Aftershokz and need a light little music player to match with them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...