UKC

Racing post "COVID"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NorthernGoat 07 Oct 2023

I've had a crappy COVID like illness for the past 2 weeks, I bailed half way through a long run (22miles) and walked back to the car last weekend, am feeling generally run down and crappy with elevated heart rate. Managed a decent track session on Tuesday, struggled through 5k on Wed, then have had super achey quads since.

I have 50k race next weekend, it's not happening is it? I shouldn't consider doing it even if I have a miraculous recovery next week. I think I know the sensible answer but just need confirmation from the hive mind.

ExiledScot 07 Oct 2023
In reply to NorthernGoat:

I'll repeat the professional advice I got. Do no training until 1 week after the last symptoms have passed. Start training again but at 30% of your previous weekly mileage, then build up weekly, 50, 75% etc..if tired still, reduce or add in another recovery week. Basically they said it should be 6 weeks before you are back to normal training, which isn't the same as actual max effort racing. It's frustrating, but play the long game. Focus on the discipline side, warm ups, drills, stretching, cool downs and not the training volume. 

plyometrics 07 Oct 2023

Don’t race. Stay safe. 💪

OP NorthernGoat 07 Oct 2023
In reply to ExiledScot: Thanks for the reply, that makes a lot of sense given my recent illness history. 

The frustration is I DNS at the Tour de Helvellyen last year with something similar, 6months later I had 2weeks of being absolutely destroyed by similar and cancelled a couple of fun excursions I'd planned, and 6months later I'm in a similar place. In that time I've had blood work done which found my iron and B12 was low, so supplemented to try and improve my general wellness. I'm a teacher so come into contact with all the crap germs that are flowing through society. 

Hopefully I'll be alright for this year's TdH in December.

ExiledScot 07 Oct 2023

Good luck, but if iron and b12 anemia don't improve through a good diet I'd go back to your doctor. 

GDes 07 Oct 2023

Definitely definitely don't do it. Not worth it.

Picture yourself in 6 months time still having symptoms because you tried to push on, and use that as your motivation. 

montyjohn 07 Oct 2023

If you've got what I've got you may have it a good while longer. I'm in about week six now. Cough, slightly asthmatic and generally run down. 

Took an old COVID test and it came back negative. I've no idea if they still work or not. 

Quite a few people I know have something similar lasting for similar durations so whatever it is it's going around.

Garethza 07 Oct 2023

If you aren’t feeling 100% then there isn’t really a point to racing. If you are a strava subscriber and opted in to the race insurance thing (part of sub but you need to opt into it I think) then you can use that to claim your entry fee back if it was dear.

wbo2 07 Oct 2023

The obvious answer to next week is no.  I'd be more concerned with how often this is happening, and the starting point would be an assumption you're overtraining, or under resting.  How are you planning your training - doing it yourself, or a coach?  How long are you taking to build into races, or are you just training hard all the time?

I don't have any answers to the above, but for me that would be food for thought

Post edited at 17:24
OP NorthernGoat 07 Oct 2023
In reply to wbo2:

I'm self "coached", following a plan which is then modified to fit around my life as dad of 3 youngsters, and work. I tend to build to races, following a 3 week cycle of easy week 40miles, mod week 50miles high volume week (60miles). 5days of running and one on the bike in a bigger and week. Always have a day off each week, sometimes take 2 after a bigger week if it's been a heavy weekend. Maybe there needs to be more progression from low mileage early in the build to holding peak mileage. 

I'd considered looking at coaching this year, but it seems very pricey. Might look into it again though

wbo2 07 Oct 2023

Well that's not very high mileage (in some circumstances) and the three week cycles and days off are good.  You might just be unlikely but it's worth thinking about.  How long a build to races - 3 months?  - Cut out ultras and do a 2 month build instead?

having said that small kids ain't easy, and nor is work I'd imagine, so getting enough kip?  All things to think about

bruxist 08 Oct 2023

Absolutely you shouldn't. A timely article for you: https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a45454046/why-you-shouldnt-run...

I guess you know the ache isn't muscle growth. Listen to it, and to your heart rate.

OP NorthernGoat 08 Oct 2023
In reply to bruxist:

Yeah I knew I shouldn't I just needed it reaffirming! Thanks for the link, it's an interesting read. 

I've felt much better today, but will leave it sometime before heading out with my trainers on. And then ease back in.

Wbo2- I think it's probably more to do with working in a school and every bug under the sun coming through our doors. My illnesses coincide with the waves of illness seen in the rest of the staff. I think I probably just need to be a bit more aware, keep all my windows open and sanitise the crap out of everything. Combined with managing the stresses of the job in a more conducive way, unfortunately having taken on a new role this year, it's unlikely that the stresses will reduce (despite teaching less!). Turns out dealing with the parents is much worse  than dealing with the kids!

With regards the ultras, I agree, but the alternative is probably road marathons (I'd like a punt at a masters vest in the next few years) and I'm not sure that's less stressful on the body! I know I could go short but it doesnt really interest me!

lowersharpnose 08 Oct 2023

my iron and B12 was low

Your body is telling you to eat more beef.  Would that work for you?

Alkis 08 Oct 2023

Long story short, I unknowingly did the Matlock Top 10 ride with COVID, just as symptoms came in. I didn’t know anything was wrong with me when I started. I felt increasingly f***ed during the ride, far beyond where I should have been. By the end of it I was a shivering mess. Tested positive in the morning. Your body really doesn’t appreciate getting destroyed while it’s fighting infection, I ended up with 7 days of fever (up to 39.5C), was catching my breath on the slightest of inclines for 3 months afterwards and didn’t return to full aerobic fitness for much longer than that.

n=1 and all that, plus you’re on the way back from it rather than on the way in, but all evidence I’ve read seems to conclude: Don't risk it.

Post edited at 21:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...