UKC

Running advice needed - overusing calves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 02 Dec 2023

Im finding that my calf muscles are getting tired when they shouldnt be on runs, and I know I get the odd knee niggle from my quads too but thats manageable with some rolling or stretching. What I want to be able to do is use my glutes more, but Im not sure how to go about changing my technique for that.

As reference I run anything like 10k road, half marathon trail, 10mi fell, and the occasional trail ultra.
I tend to land midfoot and on road my cadence is about 158. I also cycle quite a bit so do use my glutes and quads for that.

Any suggestions welcome please.

daftdazza 03 Dec 2023
In reply to The Potato:

I cycle a lot more than I run and found similar issues when I try to increase my running milage, for me it's shorted/tight hamstrings and weak glutes from cycling, sore calf and Achilles,  basically needed to do a lot of stretching/yoga and strength work especially for the glutes.  I try to go a short 2-3 km run after every cycle so I am to try and keep running legs activated.

Although I love fell running often leaves my body battered if I am poorly trained, so revert back to just flat running which is much easier on joints before trying to build back up the off road stuff.

Not sure you need to change technique, just maybe more stretch and strength work, and maybe different shoes, low drop shoes for example definitely put more stress on calf's, and not sure the trend for super soft high stack shoes is particularly good, especially when used off road.

steelbru 03 Dec 2023
In reply to The Potato:

Your cadence seems quite low - would be better around 170-180, so maybe you're over-striding ?

Of course measuring cadence is really only relevant on road, or smooth trails - can be a bit meaningless on fell running.

girlymonkey 03 Dec 2023
In reply to The Potato:

Run in a handstand to rest your legs! 😜

wbo2 03 Dec 2023
In reply to The Potato: Don't muck around with your technique.. also the fashion on youtube for pose running , and other 'correct' forms (ha!) will tend to increase calf usage.  

1What shoes? How much forrefoot cushioning?.  I am very 'calf orientated' with a short stride so anything very soft causes some fatique suffering - alternately anything with none/kaput cushioning, then the forefoot does a lot of work , and I get the same again.  I'm on a regular diet of Pegasus, Hoka Mach's and Hoka zinal offroad.

Otherwise , what Dazza says, and avoid running style advice/gurus as usually it's nonsense for punters

OP The Potato 03 Dec 2023
In reply to The Potato:

Thanks will try and increase cadence

SouthernSteve 03 Dec 2023
In reply to The Potato:

> Thanks will try and increase cadence

Get a cheap pocket metronome and choose 5 over your current rate and build up slowly.

In reply to The Potato:

I'd echo the cadence advice and would also recommend spending time with a running coach who can analyse your gait and set you improvement drills - has worked well for me

Bog ninja 04 Dec 2023
In reply to The Potato:

I used to get terrible cramps in my calves during races, from overuse on the uphill sections, usually when I tripped over things, and I would have to stretch it out and the nurse them the rest of the race. So I have been working on glute activation and strengthening exercises like clamshells and single leg glute bridges coupled with a core exercise program from irunfar and David Roche’s 3 minute mountain legs workout. It seems to have worked and I had no calf cramps in my last ultra. 

https://youtu.be/rYsWzRu_0Yc?si=cmyL0apbnYxG3s1Y

https://www.irunfar.com/building-a-trail-worthy-body-part-1

OP The Potato 05 Dec 2023
In reply to The Potato:

Did some weighted squats lunges and bridges before heading out on a flat 3mi cool down aiming for 165, got an average of 163, feels strange but I'll keep at it, thanks.

biscuit 05 Dec 2023
In reply to The Potato:

I’ll agree with the people saying to ignore the posture police. Most people find again/style that suits them. Note how you feel you have strong glutes from cycling but a couple of posts later someone feels they have weak glutes from cycling.

At first glance you say you cycle a lot, have a mid foot strike and this seems to be distance related.

I’d suggest strengthening your calves. Running longer distances doesn’t increase strength. A lot of cyclist/runners claim to have strong legs but they don’t. They have legs that can endure. 

They are pretty hefty muscles so I’d recommend weighted exercises - heavy. 

To get more technical the issue may be in force production or absorption. But in order to improve either of those I’d likely start with strengthening anyway to build a foundation to work from.

Get strong calves (without strength there is nothing to endure) and build your mileage up very gradually. 

OP The Potato 02 Jan 2024
In reply to The Potato:

Update -

Been doing eccentric calf raises, narrow squats, glute bridges, but also been slowly upping my cadence. Still only getting an average of 163-165 depending on how hilly it is, still feels weird but I've already noticed less fatigue.

Thanks for the advice all.

wondershane 09 Jan 2024
In reply to The Potato:

Do some glute activation exercises before and after your runs, such as bridges, clams, donkey kicks. These exercises will help you warm up your glutes, improve your mind-muscle connection, and prevent them from getting lazy during your runs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...