UKC

Running with axes, (running with scissors for grownups)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Norman Hadley 16 Jan 2024

Anybody got recommendations for a short, ultralight axe (e.g. DMM Flux) suitable for winter running? I always hesitate before bringing my old Glencoe axe on runs because it's 50cm long, carries almost as much risk of impalement as it saves from slips, and weighs a whopping 650 grammes. The dinky little 35cm Flux is a third of that and looks as if it would strap to a race vest without getting in the way.

I'm not contemplating technical work, maybe hacking up Y Gully on Catstycam and daggering the top of Swirral Edge, but the main purpose would be as a self-arrest tool when descending. 

steveriley 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Norman Hadley:

Good thought, I was having similar thoughts but given it would be an emergency/possibly not used didn’t want to spend much. Saw this but 45cm is probably still longer than I’d want

https://www.climbers-shop.com/snow-and-ice/ice-axes/grivel-ghost-ice-axe--g...

John Kelly 16 Jan 2024

I wouldn't strap any sort of tool on for running, unless of course your strapping it to a 40 ltr berghaus, more dangerous that the hazard. If you really need an ax when running carry it in your hand, without a leash is probably wise, alternatively alter your route, not too many days you really need full spikes and axes on English hills

Post edited at 18:18
OP Norman Hadley 16 Jan 2024
In reply to steveriley:

That looks nice, Steve. But, while it's significantly lighter than my old Glencoe axe, it's only 5cm shorter.

In reply to John Kelly:

Hi John. Yes, I've run with the 50cm in hand a few times, telling myself I'll toss it a safe distance away in the event of a stumble, so as not to kebab myself.  But there's also the engrained instinct, from my climbing years, to cling to the axe at all costs, so who knows how that would pan out?

I know what you mean about proper, hard-packed snow becoming a rarity on English hills - I've got by on ArcticTalons and guile for the last few winters. Still irrationally hopeful for decent conditions this season, though.

Post edited at 18:56
 John Kelly 16 Jan 2024

'Kebab yourself' - totally, you have reminded me. I managed to mangle a finger while trotting down the band carrying an axe. very surprised by patch of water ice, finger (still clutching axe) between mountain and the axe. I withdrawn my suggestion 

'Decent conditions'- it's good to travel hopefully, my wife currently snowed in

Timy2 16 Jan 2024

Petzl Ride or Petzl Gully, both lightweight ski touring axes.

DaveHK 16 Jan 2024

I got a Simond Fox axe from Decathlon for that sort of stuff. Very light and very cheap.

In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks Dave and Timy2

They look nice axes for weight saving - just not sure they're sufficiently easier to stow than the 50cm eighties antique I have.

girlymonkey 16 Jan 2024

I have the ghost and like it. I definitely run differently with it, maybe that would change if I did it more regularly than I do, but I do make sure I hold it away from me and run a little more tentatively.

OP Norman Hadley 17 Jan 2024
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks, girlymonkey. Mind those foot placements and don't do any unscheduled pole-vaulting. 

k_os 17 Jan 2024

V12 have the DMM flux in their cosmetic seconds sale on their website. I use a 45cm ski touring axe for running, but think the length of the flux would be better. My axe goes nicely on my Black diamond distance 8 running pack as it has axe attachments on the back.

Basemetal 17 Jan 2024

I always think it's a pity the folding axe wasn't developed a bit more -I'm thinking of Climbing Technology's Alpico Emergency Axe for example ( a bit clunky at 650g)- as the remit for a fall arrest tool isn't too onerous and it would make a safe carry option when not needed. Even the Grivel Condor  or BD Whippet could do with some refinement for running poles.  

OP Norman Hadley 18 Jan 2024
In reply to k_os:

Good spot on V12, thanks, k_os

In reply to Basemetal:

Absolutely, a lightweight folding axe would be the dream solution, Basemetal 

Post edited at 06:00
 Ottawa 18 Jan 2024

It seems like the Flux is 90% of what you need but have you considered simply cutting down a cheaper axe?

I'll add 'lightweight folding runners axe' to the long list of intriguing products to develop for single digit sales.

Dr.S at work 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Ottawa:

perhaps just a blade you could attach to a pole? Hmmm, if only I had a shed!

CantClimbTom 18 Jan 2024

Goodness me man, have you been living under a rock? Go and watch some educational documentaries like the Tomb Raider series, Cliffhanger (Stalone), The Descent (despite being about caving they carry some ice tools at one point)

Nobody but nobody runs with an ice axe, you run with a pair!! One in each hand holding the bottom of the shaft and flailing them as you run. On each of these runs you will also be required at least once to jump a gap slightly further than you can land, so the ice axes *just* catch the edge to save you, otherwise what's the point of having carried them?

Asking about running with an axe -- in the singular? It just beggars belief.

Rory Shaw 18 Jan 2024

If you plan on throwing it if you slip why are you carrying it?

Genuine question. If you are on the kind of terrain where a slip could be consequential or you need the axe to progress surely you want to keep hold of it?

In reply to Rory Shaw:

Hi Rory. It's the level ground case where the balance of risk tips in favour of getting the axe away from you. There's nothing to be gained (and potentially a lot to lose) from clinging on to it.

Of course, an undulating ridge will alternate between patches of level and sloped ground, so you have to be ready for both.

In reply to CantClimbTom:

I am a complete failure, CCT. I don't even wear a torn vest or carry a trench-knife between my teeth. Total loser, me.

In reply to Ottawa:

Hi Ottawa. I've thought about sawing a longer axe but wondered if the result would be ill-proportioned (unless I shortened the pick too). 

When I'm retired, I'm gonna blow my pension on a 3D printer that can sinter titanium and I'll fab up a folding axe the size of a banana. As you say, a seriously niche market.

OP Norman Hadley 20 Jan 2024

That's it, I've splashed out. Should be here in a couple of days. Might be a bit of a wait until the next cold snap but I'll be ready for it when it comes. Thanks for comments, folks.

morpcat 20 Jan 2024

I have a Petzl glacier literide that is my go-to for running, it's 50cm. Of I was buying again today I would get a Petzl Gully.

You don't have to put an axe on your pack "spike up". Even for general mountaineering, there's something to be said for attaching axes "spike down" using the side straps. I have two small loops of bungee on the outside of my OMM 20L that let me slide the axe in "spike down" with a diagonal slant. Keeps it well out the way. 

OP Norman Hadley 20 Jan 2024
In reply to morpcat:

Hi morpcat. I agree, spike-down seems to work better for running. I had a gallop round the Coppermines circuit yesterday like that. As it happened, the snow was soft enough to rely on heel-power so the axe never came off the vest.

OP Norman Hadley 23 Jan 2024

Well, it's here and it's ridiculously pretty. Map to convey scale (axe would probably look even smaller next to actual Cairngorms)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...