UKC

Soft flask caps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 24 Feb 2022

Weird request, but does anyone make hard (ie without a valve) lids for soft flasks so you can stick another one in the back of your pack without it opening when something presses against the drinking valve? 

Seen them on YouTube videos but can't seem to see them for sale anywhere? 

climberchristy 24 Feb 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

Can't answer your question as such but...couldn't you take an old soft valve cap and just superglue the little slit shut so that it can't squeeze open? Then just keep this new 'stuck cap' as your one for spare bottles. 

BTW when I've carried spare bottles inside my pack I've always just used a normal bite valve cap and they've never leaked but maybe I've just got lucky.

r0b 24 Feb 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

Decathlon do a soft flask with a bite valve but you can also twist the top to lock it off. That might work for you. I've used them and the valve lock does work!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trail-running-flexible-flask-500-ml-blue-2020...

In reply to neuromancer:

Platypus do solid caps for their products. I don’t know whether it is still a universal fit for all their products (in case you have some already) as was the case or whether the one size is only for larger bottles/bladders.

A quick search shows it seems they only do a one size replacement solid cap - whether this fits their smallest “soft bottles” or just the larger ones I don’t know but they also seem to still sell small soft bottles with a solid cap anyway. https://www.platy.com/ie/bottles/softbottle-1.0l/softbottle.html .

Post edited at 09:43
 Jenny C 24 Feb 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Yes platypus came to my mind. Most running flasks have fairly wide necks, so it should be easy enough to decant.

I understand the benefit for hydration on the go, but generally I prefer an open bottle to drink from. 

Dark-Cloud 24 Feb 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

If you find one let me know, they are handy for sticking in pocket to fill up while skiing in resort without getting fleeced 8 euros for a 500ml bottle.

I actually made one for a platypus once that came with a bladder, i cut a disc of plastic and put it inside the cap, seemed to work OK, might see if i can mod one of my older Salomon ones to do the same.

ianstevens 24 Feb 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

A lot of them will have a similar size/thread to various "single use" bottles - so just buy a cheapo bottle of water or something and use the cap from that.

Garethza 24 Feb 2022
In reply to r0b:

+1 for the decathlon bottles - they are great and cheap

Herdwickmatt 24 Feb 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

The new Ultimate direction bottles have a feature to push the nipply bit in to stop leaks. Quite a chunky screw top on them though

OP neuromancer 24 Feb 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

Whilst all well meant, I have about 8 soft flasks and don't need to be buying any more! 

Saw the hard cap on a Jeff peletier vid so it must just be a Salomon athlete only thing maybe.

HimTiggins 16 Apr 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

When I bought 2x salomon 500ml soft flask speed each came with the usual bite valve lid and a separate 'hard lid'. This was about 19 months ago... hope this is of some use?!

TMM 16 Apr 2022
In reply to HimTiggins:

> When I bought 2x salomon 500ml soft flask speed each came with the usual bite valve lid and a separate 'hard lid'. This was about 19 months ago... hope this is of some use?!

Same for with my speed flasks. The design is now changed with a different thread pattern. Grrr.

Nic Barber 20 Apr 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

I have some Inov8 flasks which have the lock-off which is very useful.

OP neuromancer 20 Apr 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

If anyone was still looking I found a solution on Amazon. Search Salomon On/Off Cap 42.

Its still a bite valve, just a locking one. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...