UKC

advice about a sliver on a ski

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi!

I am looking for advice. A sliver of the superior (decorative) layer of one of my skis is gone on the spatula, leaving the underlayers exposed. I would like to put a picture, but I haven't found how.
Do you think I can ski like that for the season, or is the waterproofness compromised ?

Cheers.
Cécile
 John Workman 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Cecilewannaclimb:

How about repairing the problem with some appropriate gunk [or even gaffa tape]. [You can tell which generation I come from?]
James Jackson 01 Feb 2017

I would second John's advice - fill it with some epoxy and crack on!
 Carless 01 Feb 2017

Happens all the time - as the others say: gunk, superglue, tape, etc
In reply to John Workman:

Yes that's my other option.
My concern is that it would cancel the warranty ...?
They are brand new and I have used them for 2 weeks, and I find them fragile (the most superficial layer gets marks and spreads pieces of plastic everywhere, while I have just been using them kindly on pists...).
I need to decide if I fly back to scotland with or without them... And I heard some snow had arrived !
MarkJH 01 Feb 2017

> Do you think I can ski like that for the season, or is the waterproofness compromised ?

Can you see the core, or is it just the topsheet that has been damaged? The resin used in the composite layers of a ski is very waterproof so unless the composite layers are damaged then you can treat it as cosmetic. If the core is exposed then use epoxy filler as suggested. If you want to make it look nice, then I've found that you can use a thin fill of worktop filler from a DIY shop (on top of epoxy) as a relatively inexpensive way of getting a decent colour match.

In reply to Carless:

Alright, you've convinced me ! I'll do that !

Thank you all !!
 Carless 01 Feb 2017
Having said it happens all the time, I was talking about offpiste and touring

If they're new & you've only been on piste and it "spreads pieces of plastic everywhere", maybe it's a sign of fabrication fault?
Check on forums if others are finding problems with the ski
and talk to the shop you got them from
Post edited at 17:14
paraffin 01 Feb 2017
Interested to know which make and model.
Manufacturers have recently created a race for the lightest touring ski, sacrificing robustness.
I got some Fischer Hannibal 94's last year that delaminated in less than week. Fischer admitted fault.

Doug 01 Feb 2017
In reply to paraffin:

But has also happened in the the past, I had a pair of Tua skis replaced back in the early 90s when they started delaminating after maybe 10 days skiing. Seemed an entire batch had problems.
In reply to paraffin:

It's a pair of Scott rook.
paraffin 01 Feb 2017
Scott Rooks currently selling at £120.
Get some slow cure epoxy and patch them up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...