UKC

Crampons on Ski boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jpinnegor 30 Sep 2020

Hi there,

Just wondering if it's possible to fit crampons on ski boots? 

I just think it'd be easier to deal with moving up on Ice/poor snow conditions rather than ski crampons.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

Cheers,

Jack

doz 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

Definitely!

Crampons are solid on ski boots... and quicker and safer than trying to skin up steep ice

I climb with grivel g14s

For just touring I always have a pair of alloy 12 points in my bag..weigh next to nothing...are infinitely more useful than an axe and give you back up should you bust a binding or ski.

Having said that, ski crampons should get you up a lot of slopes when skins alone are starting to feel tenuous. The trick is to always put them on before you need them!

galpinos 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

Yes, it is possible, very common and handy to have for more "ski mountaineering" than "ski touring" outings. 

I'm currently using Petlz Irvis Hybrid. Slightly heavier than the Leopard (all alu) but longer steel front points, really compact and both front attachments, so they fit my B2s for summer alpine rock approaches and ski boots for ski outings.

OwenM 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

Greval Monta Rosa, steel toe alloy heel. Still quite light and fit touring boots very well.

ebdon 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

It's pretty normal, I use petzl lynx for ski mountaineering and g14s for climbing no bother.

In reply to Jpinnegor:

Yeah, I've got a set of Grivel Haute routes that are steel at the front and alu at the back.

Some regular crampons with a toe bail don't fit brilliantly (front cleat can mean points don't protrude much or the cleat forces the bail open too much) so worth checking.

Post edited at 08:47
 TobyA 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

You can fit full step ins onto bog standard cheapy downhill boots too. Where I used to ice climb it wasn't unusual to see beginner having a go on top ropes wearing downhill boots and ice hockey helmets!

Of course all touring boots take crampons, lots of people climb quite hard in their skimo boots. You can put them on duckbill tele boots as well although the front points don't stick out that far.

JuneBob 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

Some ski boots don't support all crampons, e.g. Dynafit ski boots don't have the front lip, so you need the matching crampon.

Carless 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

Absolutely fine and done all the time

Ice climbing in ski boots is perfectly possible though obvious lack of ankle flexibility

Careful what attachment system you get - a good explnation here https://grivel.com/blogs/news/grivel-binding-systems

OP Jpinnegor 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

This is all great info guys. Thanks very much. 

What boots are people using for this? 

tomsan91 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

My Scarpa Maestrale's fits a Petzl Sarken well. The boots are really light weight but the 110 flex rating is still far off my Lange rx alpine boots. I would probably opt for the RS version if i was to buy again but my feet fit that model well. If you are after a new boot Backcountry UK in Otley have a good range of boots and crampons, I'm sure you could check compatibility on a visit/boot fit. 

critter 16 Oct 2020
In reply to JuneBob:

Need to check the Dynafit model, most take standard crampons.

The TLT 7/8 Expedition models don't have a front lip for a bale.

ebdon 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

Dynafit neo px

Carless 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jpinnegor:

Scarpa Meastrale RS with Grivel Airtech lights new-classic binding https://grivel.com/collections/crampons/products/air-tech-light?variant=147...

this binding will fit to anything - I've even used them on trainers

If I was buying again I might consider alu ones but with steel front points eg Grivel Haute Route: encountering actual ice with alu front points is a bit disconcerting - happens fairly rarely though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...